Electric Build Planning

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ezekielsays

Reaction score
Hey all:

I've been reading about electric systems for a while now, and am starting to get a grasp of what I'd like to do for my own system. Since I'm not someone who has any professional electrical experience, I thought I would be wise to see if there are any issues/problems/complications that I haven't forseen.

I currently brew in the garage, which has a dedicated 20 Amp circuit. My plan is to build a 120V electric kettle with PID, which I would use primarily for heating strike/sparge water, and possibly for small (~2 gallon) BIAB batches. The propane burner would be used for the boil.

I have a space that will become a brew room in my basement. It currently has a 30 Amp 4 wire 240v circuit, and a 20 amp 120v circuit. I'd rather not upgrade it to a 50 amp circuit, since it is over 50 feet to the electrical panel, making wire costs significant.

My main question is if there will be any issues using a separate circuit for the HLT, and then putting a boil kettle and possibly RIMS tube on the 30A circuit. I will have separate control panels.

I realize that even if my 120v kettle has a 2000 watt element that it will heat water slower than my propane burner, but I'm ok with that. I'm only doing 5 gallon batches, and don't forsee that changing anytime soon.

I have a space that will become a brew room in my basement. It currently has a 30 Amp 4 wire 240v circuit, and a 20 amp 120v circuit. I'd rather not upgrade it to a 50 amp circuit, since it is over 50 feet to the electrical panel, making wire costs significant..
You can do a set up for total electric brewing with that power feed. No problem. I've drawn a few diagrams wth that intended result.

P-J

Yep, 30a, 240v, 4-wire is sufficient to run a 5500w element, electronics, and pumps. You can build something equivalent to www.theelectricbrewery.com, if you so desire, which is a HERMS system with 20 gallon kettles, with only one 5500w element running at a time.

Latest posts

Back