Electric Brewing without HERMS/RIMS

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

203PH

Reaction score
I plan on moving off the patio brewing with propane and into the basement with electric. After pouring over many threads and researching HERMS and RIMS, I eventually want to get to a HERMS system. My budget right now would allow me to install 240v outlet with spa panel, new BK, going from 10 gallon Bayou with weldless components to a legit 20 gallon BK with all the fixins and most likely a Hosehead controller.

I currently have two 10 gallon Fermenters Favorite coolers I use for a HLT am MLT. My thought is to create a “non HERMS” system at the moment and add components down the road. Would it be possible to use my current setup with one electric element in the BK, transfer from BK to MLT cooler for mashing in and mash rest, use BK to heat sparge water and transfer to HLT cooler similarly to how I currently do it? Please feel free to poke as many holes as you can in this setup.

You could do BIAB. All you'd need is a bag and a false bottom to keep it off the element while it's on. Or you could just not run the element during the mash.

I plan on moving off the patio brewing with propane and into the basement with electric. After pouring over many threads and researching HERMS and RIMS, I eventually want to get to a HERMS system. My budget right now would allow me to install 240v outlet with spa panel, new BK, going from 10 gallon Bayou with weldless components to a legit 20 gallon BK with all the fixins and most likely a Hosehead controller.

I currently have two 10 gallon Fermenters Favorite coolers I use for a HLT am MLT. My thought is to create a “non HERMS” system at the moment and add components down the road. Would it be possible to use my current setup with one electric element in the BK, transfer from BK to MLT cooler for mashing in and mash rest, use BK to heat sparge water and transfer to HLT cooler similarly to how I currently do it? Please feel free to poke as many holes as you can in this setup.
Yeah its totally possible... Why would you think it wouldnt be? you just need a container or multiple containers to temporarily hold your sparge water while filling the BK with wort.

I used a cooler with my first electric incarnation and a herms that didnt work very well... Even without the rims it would still work like any other cooler mashtun and the electric heated BK works like any other source of heat... I added my rims after like 6 months and that changed like 4 times into what I use now... Just look at the system in the beginning of my build thread below vs the last couple pages... I kept making changes and my budget allowed.

If you're planning 10 gallons or less, I'd consider induction for your BK. HERMS can be any way you like. The benefit being your wort will never touch an element (no chance of scorching and easier cleanup). $160 unit can use 20A off that spa panel that your planning. The rest can be for pumps and the HERMS.

I use a 5500W ULWD element and have no scorching issues with 5gal batches. You have to turn it off and stir if you're adding extract, but other than that it works great. If I were you (OP) I would use a second pot to either store the wort in temporarily or heat your sparge water. Otherwise you'd have to do a batch mash, then go back into the BK. I don't see why it wouldn't work, other than possibly lower efficiency which can be compensated for in your grain bill (cheaper to add a bit of grain than another kettle).

Yeah its totally possible... Why would you think it wouldnt be? you just need a container or multiple containers to temporarily hold your sparge water while filling the BK with wort.

I used a cooler with my first electric incarnation and a herms that didnt work very well... Even without the rims it would still work like any other cooler mashtun and the electric heated BK works like any other source of heat... I added my rims after like 6 months and that changed like 4 times into what I use now... Just look at the system in the beginning of my build thread below vs the last couple pages... I kept making changes and my budget allowed.

Great build. This gives me hope that I can get there eventually.

I use a 5500W ULWD element and have no scorching issues with 5gal batches. You have to turn it off and stir if you're adding extract, but other than that it works great. If I were you (OP) I would use a second pot to either store the wort in temporarily or heat your sparge water. Otherwise you'd have to do a batch mash, then go back into the BK. I don't see why it wouldn't work, other than possibly lower efficiency which can be compensated for in your grain bill (cheaper to add a bit of grain than another kettle).

I get pretty decent efficiency in my current 3 vessel propane setup. Like you said, a little DME to bring it up never hurt anyone. Been pretty lucky with some tasty brews for the past 3 years. Looking forward to eventually getting to a full blown semi automated system.

Back