Electric Brewing in San Diego

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joaoking

Reaction score
Looking to move into an EBIAB system but am hesitant at getting into a 120v unit. I’ve seen a lot of 240v units out there but want to get experiences from those that are using a 120v unit and their thoughts.

Thanks in advance!

How about reaching and maintaining a boil? Are you staying indoors or are you outdoors?

I brew indoors . It takes a little bit to reach a boil but I use that time for setting up my hops and whrilfoc ect.... It holds a boil fine , as your boil doesnt need to be raging. I love the bluetooth controller. I have the Gf app which is awesome . I make recipes then when I brew I click on sessions and the Gf knows the mash temp and hop addition times . Really a good system.

Generally speaking, a 240 volt system gives you the potential for higher heating capacity which equates to faster heating while raising the temperature of water or wort.
After you have reached a desired temperature while brewing, it requires much less power to maintain that temperature. All this means a potentially shorter brew day with a 240 volt system, all other things being equal.

I’m currently looking at the clawhammer supply system. They have both a 120 and 240 system. I’ve been leaning towards the 240 but it’s sold out and has been for almost a month now. I’m planning to be outside or in my garage when brewing so I was considering the 120 just didn’t know how the boil would hold up if I were to brew outside

Back