Electric Beer Brewing Controllers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bpbrewer

Reaction score
Hi,

Some coworkers have talked me into home brewing. They are using propane, but I would prefer to use electricity instead. I am thinking about buying an HC-3800 from Ohio Brewing Technologies. I like the idea of using my computer to regulate the temperature. Is anyone aware of other products I should consider for this or have other suggestions? Has anyone had experience with this product? I emailed the company with some questions and they were helpful.

The HC-3800 is described here:

http://www.ohiobrewingtechnologies.com/HC-3800.aspx

Thanks for sharing any advice. My coworkers told me this was the place to ask.

Jerry

I think you could get a lot more for the money. It seems pretty pricey for what it does. You could build an entire manual rig for the price of that controller. Search for electric HERMS in advanced search. Once you have a manual rig and have decided that brewing is for you then there are several controllers out there that have more capabilities then that one does at lower cost. Perhaps check out Brewtroller or the BCS XXXXXX, sorry cant remember the exact number.

I think there is a bit of a misunderstanding. I want to be able to regulate the heating process and boil. For those propane brewers, imagine being able to run software on your computer that would regulate the propane to control the energy used to heat up your boil. Since I want to use electricity, I need something to regulate the high power electric energy. These simple temperature controllers can't handle that kind of power from what I can see: I am looking at 240V and 15A. See what I mean?

Anybody know anything like that? The only thing I could find was this HC-3800.

Use the controller to open and close a larger capacity relay.

could use 1 amp or so to control a 240v 15 amp replay for sure.

Not trying to be confrontational here but why not start using basic methods using thermometers like most people do? 600 bucks seems like a lot of cash to put into a hobby you may not even like.

I think there is a bit of a misunderstanding. I want to be able to regulate the heating process and boil. For those propane brewers, imagine being able to run software on your computer that would regulate the propane to control the energy used to heat up your boil. Since I want to use electricity, I need something to regulate the high power electric energy. These simple temperature controllers can't handle that kind of power from what I can see: I am looking at 240V and 15A. See what I mean?

Um, why not use a PID and SSR? Run a search here for electric brewing, probably a hundred electric rigs here, nearly every one using PIDS and SSRs.

So you need a PID and SSR. That will cost you $90 for the PID, SSR and heatsink. Plenty of electric rigs here (I have one too) and the PID and SSR combo is more advanced than we even need. 15A is nothing, I can switch 40A and use the smart temp. and self learning brain of the PID for $90.

Better than $600 eh?
Here is my control panel for the HERMS, Pump and Boil.
DSCN0986.JPG

Here is a PID, SSR, Thermocouple and Heatsink (the ones I used from AuberIns.com)
DSCN0970.JPG

I set the PID for SMART temp control while I am sparging and set 180F to keep the runnings warm. I then use 100% in manual mode to reach a boil (5 minutes) and then dial it back to 65-70% to maintain a vigorous boil.

You are talking about using 240VAC at 15A, which equates to 3600W. I would make a suggestion, that you look at using a 5500W Ripp element. Why? Boils quicker and will maintain a more vigorous boil if you choose. Cost, $19.

On my system 5500W, dialed back to 65-70% is still more than 3600W, which is exactly what you would get with 240VAC at 15A.

Here is the RIPP element in my BK, controlled by the PID.
Kegglerecirc2.JPG

BrewBeastcooling.JPG

Um, why not use a PID and SSR? Run a search here for electric brewing, probably a hundred electric rigs here, nearly every one using PIDS and SSRs.

So you need a PID and SSR. That will cost you $90 for the PID, SSR and heatsink. Plenty of electric rigs here (I have one too) and the PID and SSR combo is more advanced than we even need. 15A is nothing, I can switch 40A and use the smart temp. and self learning brain of the PID for $90.

Better than $600 eh?
Here is my control panel for the HERMS, Pump and Boil.

Here is a PID, SSR, Thermocouple and Heatsink (the ones I used from AuberIns.com)

I set the PID for SMART temp control while I am sparging and set 180F to keep the runnings warm. I then use 100% in manual mode to reach a boil (5 minutes) and then dial it back to 65-70% to maintaina vigorous boil.

I have a similar system and the PID does anything I would need it to do. I use one PID for both the HLT and the boil, I just switch out which element is plugged into the outlet.

Ronrock gave you the cheaper alternative right above this post... BCS-460 if you want to run it off a computer. The outputs go to SSRs to control the high current loads. If you don't want your computer near the brewery, there's PID/SSR standalones.

:eek: So now, electric, computer controlled, automated brewing is considered a beginners topic? :eek:

-OCD

I don't want to go too far here but the OP sounds like he might be spamming ohiobrewingtechnologies.com. Maybe. Maybe not.

In any case, $600 for a single ONE temp controller unit is a ripoff whether it's computer controlled or not. Add $50 for the thermocouple.

Back