American Amber Ale El Diablo Amber Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rhys333

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
US-05
Batch Size (Gallons)
5.5 gallons (5.0 gallons packaged)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Dark amber
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
14 days @ 66-68F
Tasting Notes
Liquoriuce and coffee
EL DIABLO AMBER ALE
80% Domestic 2 Row (8.25 lbs)
7% Munich 10 (0.75 lbs)
5% UK pale chocolate 180L (0.5 lbs)
5% Flaked barley (0.5 lbs)
3% UK C120 (0.3 lbs)
1/3 oz Centennial @ 60 (10aa)
1 oz Centennial @ 12
1 oz Hallertauer Trad @ 0 (4 aa)
US05

Mash 60 - 75 minutes @ 153F

This was an experiment to see what a healthy dose of pale chocolate would do to a beer... and it turned out really well! It has deep, complex flavors from the malt, and a darker amber colour that isn't dark enough to be a brown ale. It pours with a rocky head that settles but sticks around. Pronounced but approachable malt flavors, with liquorice and mild coffee in the background. I used centennial and hallertauer tradition, but you can easily switch it up to whatever you like as long as it's in the 25-30 ibu range.

amber 2.jpg

beer 3.jpg

Looks very nice. What would you recommend instead of centennial?
I use that already for a brown I brew regularly so would like to try this with something different.

Cascade I guess?

Looks very nice. What would you recommend instead of centennial?
I use that already for a brown I brew regularly so would like to try this with something different.

Cascade I guess?

Thanks Shenanigans. Cascade would work well, or maybe Chinook. Even willamette, liberty, crystal... or anything mildly floral, citrus or pine would be nice. Super punchy hops like mosaic could be a bit much though.

Back