Ekuanot - HBC 366

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wingnutbrew

Reaction score
Ordered a few "new to me" hops from the 2016 crop and have been doing some single hop APA's to give them a trial run. This is my review of Ekuanot (or Equinox) HBC 366

The Design:
Med body Mash@152F
10# 2 Row
1# Munich
1# Vienna
.5# C-40

1oz CTZ@60 (my standard bittering)
2oz Ekuanot - 45min Steep@175F down to 160F
2oz Ekuanot - Dryhop 5 days

Yeast: M44 (Mangrove Jack - West Coast Ale)
*This yeast is a power-house! Getting average 78% attenuation in 4-5 days and it drops like a rock when finished. I'm on my 7th brew now off just 1 packet.

From the description on YCH Hops I was expecting a lot of melon/citrus/tropical as the main characteristic but my experience was quite different. Aroma is dominated by fresh peppers and pine with very little but noticeable fruitiness. The flavor on the front end is mostly fresh peppers and hints of pine/spice with a nice snap of lime and orange peel underneath.

It has not cleared out all the way and only been in the keg for 5 days and will update after it conditions a bit.

The pepper is not exactly like green peppers but more like a habanero without the heat. I've never been big on habanero beer but IMO this hop would compliment one perfectly.

I am going to experiment blending this with Chinook and possibly Northern Brewer.

I have read other reviews and have not come across one yet that puts the pepper/pine on the forefront of characteristics. I am having some friends over tomorrow for Free Beer Fridays and I look forward to hearing other opinions on flavor/aroma.

IMG_0345.jpg

What a difference a day makes-

Fresh pepper/pine is still there but after pulling off about 4 glasses it is no longer as prominent as it once was.

I hope it does not diminish any further.

Looks good. I'm brewing an IPA with Equinox this weekend. Was going to throw in some Columbus too just because I have a lot of it. I've heard about Equinox having a green pepper flavor but I never got it out of that hop personally.

I like equinox hops, I do get a fruity flavor but never really noticed a pepper flavor. I know some people say habanero have a fruity flavor so maybe I have tasted it without knowing it.

I like equinox combined with citra, worked OK with cascade too. Made a saison using only equinox that was fermented with WY3711 that came out pretty good.

Back