efficiency

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcondon

Reaction score
so my efficiency is around 55%. i know this isn't great but its the best i can get with my (somewhat faulty) equipment. i've been just adjusting my recipes accordingly but i was curious if there were any other negative consequences of having a low efficiency besides just having to spend more on grain? thanks for your input!

It depends on what is causing your low efficiency. If it's conversion problems, then definitely...that can lead to bad things. If it's just inefficient lautering, there's nothing particularly to worry about. Some even argue that you'll get better beer for it.

i think its just inefficient lautering bc of my equipment. but out of curiosity, what plays a role in conversion problems? my temps are generally pretty on point and my grain is crushed enough i think. also, why do ppl argue inefficient lauterting causes better beer?

sorry for the questions- i'm fairly new at this and am curious about the details!

i think its just inefficient lautering bc of my equipment. but out of curiosity, what plays a role in conversion problems? my temps are generally pretty on point and my grain is crushed enough i think. also, why do ppl argue inefficient lauterting causes better beer?

sorry for the questions- i'm fairly new at this and am curious about the details!

Temps, crush, and agitation are the three main things for conversion efficiency (also grain modification, but I'll assume you're buying "normal" fully modified malt). You can check out Kaiser's fabulous website for some tests to check your conversion.

The thinking on lautering is that too much efficiency can lead to some huskiness. I've certainly noticed that when efficiency gets above 85% or so, but some people claim that they get a richer wort below 70% (or with their first runnings), but I've never noticed that per se. But, in any case, the issue has to do with pH changes over the course of the lauter and the compounds that get pulled out as a result.

so my efficiency is around 55%. i know this isn't great but its the best i can get with my (somewhat faulty) equipment. i've been just adjusting my recipes accordingly but i was curious if there were any other negative consequences of having a low efficiency besides just having to spend more on grain? thanks for your input!

One thing that might end up annoying you is if your efficiency is really low your equipment might really limit what you can make. It tough to explain with typing up boring examples, but batch sizes for higher gravity beers kind of become moving targets.

My best two batches ever were a 49% and a 55% efficiency.

Back