Efficiency targets

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adamj

Reaction score
Why worry about your efficiency as long as you are hitting your target? maybe I am in the minority here but i aim for 65%, usually hit it and get all of the best sugars out of the mash. Spend about $3 extra in my base grain per batch. Is there something i am missing? Why the stress to hit 90%?

It usually means you're getting better as a brewer. Sometimes it just means you have a better crush or better equipment though.

My personal opinion is that it's more important to have a consistent efficiency than a high one. If I was hitting 70's all the time and then one day I hit 90 and went back down to 70, there is probably something wrong. I like to know what to expect from my recipe, and getting a 20% swing in either direction is too much of a headache to deal with on a brew day.

I have to agree with Teromous. Your getting better as a brewer if your numbers rise slowly and not swing.

There are way too many variables to control as a homebrewer to get consistent EFF%. Unless you are in an enclosed evirmonmentally controlled, automated, exact crush, exact water, exact everything you wont ever hit 99%EFF. But small things that you do as a brewer helps you learn and get consistent EFF% and over time your learned behaviors will begin to produce 70%, 85%, 90% EFF.

60% EFF drinks as good as a 90%EFF....I dont ever recall someone saying, "Man, this beer sux! You can really taste the %EFF in their mash and it was pitiful!"

I think it would be harder to hit %65 consistently vs. hitting %85. But your right consistency is good. So are surprises. :mug:

While I agree with everything being said, the inner me is always up for a challenge.
I look at a batch of grains on brew day, with all that sugary, malty goodness that is available to me and think...... Challenge accepted!

Don't get me wrong, I do a stress free version of brew day as well, but I am an apprentice that is building his knowledge base and methods.
My plan is a larger scale brewery eventually and for that aspect. it becomes important to hit a consistent effic% so that I can cut grain costs.
I have 4 consecutive AG brews that I have gotten 84.7%, 81.8% 79.8 and 79.7 effic.
I still set my Beersmith value at 75% because I want to work back to an average of 78% effic for now.

Consistency is key like ya mentioned, you just have to figure out what effic you are capable of that are reproducible.

Back