Effects of a longer boil

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sleepyemt

Reaction score
Hey All,Can anyone help me understand the effects of a longer boil on the mineral additions? Or is the mineral addition just for the mash and sparge? For example Adambier on the homebrewchef's website calls for a 3 hr boil. There is another recipe for an old ale that calls for a 5 hr boil.

Would I target the mineral additions for the finished volume? Or the larger volume of the mash?

Thanks

If you're doing mineral additions, they should be for your mash and sparge water volume. However, if you're going to be doing a 3 hour boil (why?) then you may have a significant reduction in volume and you could concentrate dissolved minerals to a level where they would be taste perceptible, so i would advise that you really go very light on any additions you may do, and be sure that you NEED to do a mineral addition before you do any at all.

I'm not sure what your recipe is, but IMHO you'd be better adding more grain and doing a shorter boil.

Back