Eep! Did I kill my yeast starter???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

size

Reaction score
So I brewed my yeast starter, everything was going well, and since it's a Saison yeast, I was aiming for an ambient temperature of about 75 F. So I stuck it in a cubbyhole, went and checked it a couple hours later, it was 80 degrees.

Thinking that just setting it in my basement would be cooler, I tried that. Came back, and it was NINETY degrees (we're talking ambient here).

Now I've set it in my temperature controlled room, where it's about 75, but I don't see any activity. It smells like the yeast has done something, but I don't think it near finished it's activity before it (maybe) died?

No yeast cake, a half inch of sediment in the bottom, and it's just sitting there. Did I kill it?

Oh wait is 3724 bottom fermenting? How could the yeast cake be on the bottom?

After fermentation the yeast will settle out and make a cake (trub) at the bottom. This might be a good time to take a gravity reading.

Yeah but it only fermented for like 12 hours.... can that be right?

Is it because it's a starter? I thought the other few starters I've done have taken 2-3 days...

Back