Edworts Apfelwein question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Parker36

Reaction score
Has anybody put together a comparison of using different sugars? I've seen threads dedicated to using different kinds of yeast (from wheats, to cidar, to wine strains) but nothing on the additional sugars. What difference does adding concentrate, dextrose, brown sugar, table sugar, etc have on the taste?

Nobody has tried anything but dextrose? Come on, I know you are out there.

I only use Dextrose (corn sugar). Some folks have had success with brown sugar and turbinado sugar.

I've used more cans of apple juice concentrate...

The cool thing about cider (or homebrewing in general) is that it's VERY open for interpretation. Experiment! Do what you might think is cool.....just don't add mayonnaise or anything :D

Have fun
:mug:

I used 5 gal apple juice and 2 lbs of Dark Brown Sugar. I was thinking that it would leave just a trace of unfermtable sugars. However, it OG of 1.060 and when I racked it a month later the gravity was 1.000

Very dry and tastes great. I don't know if I can wait any longer.

I used brown sugar in my first batch and it was much better than the second, which was all dextrose.

Next time I'm going just apple juice and montrachet.

I made my first batch a few days ago, and I used pure table sugar so when it gets done I'll let you know how it tastes.

Latest posts

Back