Ed's Apfelwien ferment time & having to move

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigken462

Reaction score
While reading how to make some hard cherry lemonade, I came across several threads about Ed's Apfelwien. The more I got to reading, the more interested I am to seeing how this taste. Many of the threads mention this recipe takes several months to mature so I'm halfway tempted to buy me a extra bucket or carboy to make this and stow away in the closet while it does it's thing. My concern is, sometime in the next 2-4 months, I'll be facing a residential move and worried about what may happen if I have to transport it in the middle of fermenting. Is that something I need to be worried about? Also, while this specific post is about the Apefwein, would this also be a problem for any other beer brew? I'm hoping since most of those are shorter, I can time them as to not be a problem.

initial fermenting in my experience ( and i have made gallons) is that it takes about 4 week, then you can drink it or leave it for as long as you like, even on the lees to mature, once fermented i see no reason why you can not move it about while it matures, if you rack it off the lees (you don't need to) i guess it will settle quicker but i shouldn't worry, unless someone else can offer advice?.
p.s it is really good i have made it with brown sugar, white sugar, and honey and cold crashed it to make applejack so go for it you wont be disapointed

Back