Eddy Worts Apple Feeny - 3lbs of corn sugar ok?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beau815

Reaction score
Im going to try EdWorts apfelwein for the first time, i understand that 2 lbs of dextrose gives a nice kick at 8.5% abv but i have a 3 lb bag and wouldn't mind 9.5% abv Would the extra pound of sugar give the wine yeast trouble? Would it be too dry? Would it maybe give it a slightly sweeter taste? as some say they sweeten it after... Just asking before i add the 3 lbs... im guessing if 3 was better than two for some reason, thats how he would of made it. So what are the drawbacks?

If you have never made apfelwein before, I recommend 2 lbs. If you have two carboys well then do one with 2lbs and one with 3lbs and let us know how it turns out. The extra sugar would require a longer aging time but I dont see what else it could hurt. Give it a shot and come back in a year and let us know how it is.

wow a year? damn i was looking to have this puppy ready by June 12th, wow how long does it normally take for EdWorts Apfelwein with 2 lbs? 9 months?

If you have never made apfelwein before, I recommend 2 lbs. If you have two carboys well then do one with 2lbs and one with 3lbs and let us know how it turns out. The extra sugar would require a longer aging time but I dont see what else it could hurt. Give it a shot and come back in a year and let us know how it is.

I'll tell you what that extra pound of sugar will hurt... your HEAD the day after!

Yeah? wow... how come? I'm only going to have like 3 at a time, not session them... does the 8.5% really hurt your head that bad? I drink 8.5% beer and i'm fine the next day. What is the reason for the headache that apfelwein gives you?

I think it's what's inside, not just the alcohol. Anyway, yeah it takes a bit. You can certainly drink it before a year, but it ages well. I got a corny aging right now. However, I did not add any sugar to mine. I didn't want the extra alcohol. But next time I will. Mine it a bit too light now that I've tried it.

It only takes about a month for mine to finish fermenting, and i have drank it soon after so i think it will be fine by June.

It only gets better and better with age.

So even with 2 lbs this wont be done by June 12th?

That depends on what you mean by "done." Apfelwein never survives past it's 3 month birthday around my house. Between me, my wife, and a friends wife who all love the stuff fairly young, it just seems to disapear.

It's generally drinkable at about the 1 month mark, assuming you either don't carbonate or keg and force carb. Some people like to age it for a few months up to a year, but that's not required. Try it after a month, and it you like it, go ahead and drink up. :mug:

You can drink it all you want on June 12th with 2 lbs or 3 lbs... and it will taste good. The masses agree, however, that it will taste even better if you let it age.

ahh thank you! I understand... i was thinking of not making it if it wouldnt be done... im happy some people like it green, it will be about 2 1/2 months when we drink it.

I have Natures Nectar, it says 100% apple juice the ingredients are water, apple juice concentrate, ascorbic acid (vitamin C) which are all great, but it has ONE more ingredient Malic acid (to control PH). Is this ok?

I have Natures Nectar, it says 100% apple juice the ingredients are water, apple juice concentrate, ascorbic acid (vitamin C) which are all great, but it has ONE more ingredient Malic acid (to control PH). Is this ok?

I think Malic Acid is fine...I ended up using pasturized juice with no preservatives, but I think I remember seeing in the big apfelwein thread that it was ok.

Back