EBIAB Kettle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daota

Reaction score
I've been trying to plan an EBIAB setup and am in need of some experienced advice on the kettle.
I like the looks of the Blichmann kettles and wouldn't necessarily mind spending the extra for a little bling, but on he other hand the Bayou Classic pots with the basket seem like a good idea for keeping the bag of the element. How important is that? I've also read that the baskets can restrict flow too much unless they are drilled out. Is there a good solution for other kettles like the Blichmanns?
The other question I have is about size. Is a 15 gallon kettle too large for 5 gallon batches?
Thanks in advance!

I've been brewing biab for some time. To answer your second question, 15 gal kettle is fine for 5 gal brews. Your total volume of water will be around 8 gallons when accounting for water absorption etc. so once you dunk the grain bag into 8 gallons, you're pretty much maxed out. 15 gal pot is a minimum if you want to brew with full volume. In addition, with partial volume mash you'll be almost able to make 10 gal batch.

I don't have much experience using baskets. My old 10 gal pot was a tamale steamer, there is an indentation about 5 inches from the bottom where a perforated pan would rest on. That worked great as all components would rest underneath the pan and I could safely put the bag on top without it touching the bottom or the element.

Recently I purchase a bayou classic 82quart pot to scale my batches up to 10 gallons full boil. I'm just in the phase of modding it so I have not brewed on it yet but I really like the quality of it. I also purchase an 17in aluminum perforated pizza pan on amazon, which I'm planning on using in the same fashion as my last setup. I just need to find a way to fabricate some sort of stand for the perforated pan.

Does anyone else have advice or experiences to share regarding size, style, or brand of kettle? Or about protecting the bag from the element?

Bartp hit it correctly for kettle size. I have a 15 gallon now, but eventually go to 20 to accommodate higher gravity 10 gallon batches. The best value is likely http://www.ebay.com/itm/CONCORD-80-.../200910481539?pt=Cookware&hash=item2ec732a883.

To keep the bag off the element, another option is a round cooling rack. http://www.webstaurantstore.com/14-...ogleShopping&gclid=CP6ylJaSrLkCFdKj4Aod6U4AvA

I'm not a fan of a basket, as many have had problems with fast enough drainage to recirculate with one, although many also get them to work fine.

Back