eBiab Kettle size 15gal or 20gal for 5 gallon batches?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wedge421

Reaction score
Im thinking of buying the High Gravity Brewing eBiab setup. By default it comes with a 15 gallon kettle, or you can upgrade to a 20 gallon for $80 more. I will not be doing any 10 gallon batches but some of my 5 gallon batched get pretty big in the gravity. My imperial stout I brew comes in at around 1.100. My question is this, will the 15 gal be able to accomodate those big brews or should I go up to the 20 gal? And if I go up to the 20 gallon will the smaller 5 gal batches that only require 10 - 11lbs of grain have issues? Thanks!

I had the same question when I ordered my stout tanks. I don't often brew 10 gallon batches and when I do they are lower gravity so I knew from my existing system that 15 gallons was ample for my needs. The deciding factor for me was that the 15 gallon and 20 gallon had that same diameter so when it came to doing a 5 gallon batch both kettles would behave exactly the same. The 30 gallon stouts have a larger diameter and it might inhibit me from doing a low gravity 5 gallon batch so those were out of the question. In the end for a minimal increase in cost I got 33% more capacity.

So, food for thought, you just may one day want to do a 10 gallon batch. I know with having a newborn around the house that I have far less time to brew and will be much more likely to brew 10 gallon batches from here on out as a result. Life changes, good to have the equipment to handle it :).

If you never intend on trying a 10-gallon batch, a 15-gallon kettle will be fine for even the highest gravity 5-gallon batches. E.g., I did a 6-gallon batch of a RIS with over 26lbs. of grain and an OG over 1.1, in a BIAB 15-gallon kettle.

That said, I would check with them and find out how much water is required to fully submerge the element in the 20-gallon kettle. If you could do a normal gravity 5-gallon batch in it, and still be able to step up to 10-gallon batches if you wanted, that would be ideal.

I just scaled up my biggest recipe and according to BeerSmith it should fit in a 15.5 gallon kettle with no issues. I talked to Dave over at High Gravity and he basically said the same thing as you guys. Thanks for the help!

Back