Ebay feedback pisses me off

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blk94f150

Reaction score
Nothing frustrates me more than when I buy something from ebay, pay as soon as the auction is over and the seller waits until I give them positive feedback before they give me mine. I paid you right away, so I should get feedback right away.

Mike

Nothing frustrates me more than when I buy something from ebay, pay as soon as the auction is over and the seller waits until I give them positive feedback before they give me mine. I paid you right away, so I should get feedback right away.

Mike

I sell on eBay. I wait until they provide feedback for me because about 40% of my buyers don't bother with leaving any.

If they wont provide me feedback, I wont provide them with any.

I have 100% FB BTW.

I get pissed too. Feedback is good. Feedback shouldn't be dependent on what someone else leaves. If someone buys from you and pays promptly, they have been a good customer. If a customer appreciates the business they do with a seller, they should leave feedback. I don't think it should be obligatory.

If I buy something, I immediately pay with paypal. I wait to leave feedback until I receive the item. In my eye, the sellers responsibility ends when I get my item, in a timely fashion, in the quality stated in the ad. Thats why I wait. At least they made it so sellers can't leave bad feedback if a buyer does.

Feedback is not an eBay problem, but the seller's.

IMO, a seller should give feedback as soon as he/she has been paid. On the other hand, a buyer has no reason to provide feedback until the item is delivered. ;)

I sell on eBay. I wait until they provide feedback for me because about 40% of my buyers don't bother with leaving any.
I read this to say that you will not give positive feedback unless you get positive feedback . . . even if the buyer did his part.
:drunk:

I read this to say that you will not give positive feedback unless you get positive feedback . . . even if the buyer did his part.
:drunk:

No, not the case. As a seller I CANNOT leave anything but positive. Ebay will not allow it.

Neither party is obligated to leave feedback. However, if the customer does not care to let me know about their experience, then I'm not going to waste time giving feedback to someone who could care less.

If they wont provide me feedback, I wont provide them with any.

I have 100% FB BTW.

That's not right. Your buyers don't owe you a thing. If they pay promptly they should get feedback promptly.

I think I'm going to start adding that seller didn't leave feedback first in the comments.

Mike

No, not the case. As a seller I CANNOT leave anything but positive. Ebay will not allow it.

Since when? I bought something on Ebay and had to dispute it because the item wasn't as described. The seller TRASHED me in my feedback. Ebay said there was nothing they could do about it and refused to take it off.

Since when? I bought something on Ebay and had to dispute it because the item wasn't as described. The seller TRASHED me in my feedback. Ebay said there was nothing they could do about it and refused to take it off.

They changed the rules earlier this year. Sellers can only leave positive feedback for a buyer.

That's not right. Your buyers don't owe you a thing. If they pay promptly they should get feedback promptly.

I think I'm going to start adding that seller didn't leave feedback first in the comments.

Mike

So, using your logic, after the buyer has paid and the item is delivered, the seller does not "owe" the buyer a thing including feedback.

IMO, a seller should give feedback as soon as he/she has been paid. On the other hand, a buyer has no reason to provide feedback until the item is delivered. ;)

I totally agree with this 100% the item needs to be delivered before I leave any feedback. What does it matter as long as I have paid.

I had a jackass bookseller leave me negative feedback. This guy had a habit of leaving retaliatory negatives after earning his negatives. He of course offered to negotiate a mutual withdrawal. Screw that.

Ohojim

Turn on your speakers. It's just one page and I never updated it. When the site was new I would get a couple of "attaboy" messages a week from his pissed-off customers.

Hmmm...the sound is not working for me. If it's not working for you, it's that guy from Blazing Saddles saying "Hold it, Hold it! What the hell is that ****?!"

I had a jackass bookseller leave me negative feedback. This guy had a habit of leaving retaliatory negatives after earning his negatives. He of course offered to negotiate a mutual withdrawal. Screw that.

Ohojim

Turn on your speakers. It's just one page and I never updated it. When the site was new I would get a couple of "attaboy" messages a week from his pissed-off customers.

Hmmm...the sound is not working for me. If it's not working for you, it's that guy from Blazing Saddles saying "Hold it, Hold it! What the hell is that ****?!"

Thats the reason that ebay changed the rules. Too many sellers were leaving retaliatory feedback.

I think I am being mis-understood here. So for clarification, I have approximatly 40% of my buyers who neglect to leave feedback, good, bad or indifferent. I used to give feedback after every item was paid for. This is a somewhat time consuming process. When I figured many customers did not care enough to give or receive feedback, I decided to only leave it for those that care about it. In fact, once I started to hold feedback, I found more people gave me feedback than otherwise would have. But that was not my intention. My intentions were to save a bit of time.

I do not hold feedback for buyers in hopes of getting a positive from them. I provide good customer service and am not worried about getting a negative. After all, the worst retaliation I can do is not leaving any feedback anyway.

And since the feedback system is not obligatory to either party, I could just as easily not give any feedback to any buyers, which some sellers do BTW. Not saying thats right, but if the buyer could care less about the feedback and just wants his item, then why waste the time and effort otherwise.

And yes, I do realize that the buyer will not leave feedback until after the item is received.

I see where you are coming from. When I buy something on Ebay, I really could care less whether the seller leaves me feedback. I buy so rarely that it doesn't really matter. I do make it a point to leave a seller feedback. I know that its usually important to them. What you are saying is that you don't go seeking out all of your buyers to leave feedback. When you receive feedback, its just an easy click to leave them some. I don't see a problem with that.

What you are saying is that you don't go seeking out all of your buyers to leave feedback.

Yes, that is the way I do it. I dont ask any of my buyers to leave me feed back. If they do, then I will also. But I know that if they dont leave any, then they buy rarely or just dont care one way or the other about it.

Feedback is based on many things. For me the first is the time it takes them to ship(not the time it takes the shipper). Then comes the veracity of the advert.
airmek, you act like you didn't make a profit off the sale. That is your first positive feedback. If I pay you at the end of auction and it takes you more than 3 days to ship, can you expect positive feedback? Since negative or even neutral feedback is no longer allowed then your feedback is your profit and your transaction count. I feel that I am fair about this. If it takes me 3-4 days to get back to ebay and find out I have won then I dont expect shipment for the same amount of time that it took me to pay in addition to the 3 day leeway I give a seller.
I also say that in the best interest of both seller and buyer the other should be contacted and explained why feedback will not be left. Many sellers if given the opurtunity will try to right a perceived negative transaction. Many buyers if contacted will do the same.

I just looked at my feedback and they deleted the negative feedback that the scammer posted on mine. That rocks!

Feedback is based on many things. For me the first is the time it takes them to ship(not the time it takes the shipper). Then comes the veracity of the advert.
airmek, you act like you didn't make a profit off the sale. That is your first positive feedback. If I pay you at the end of auction and it takes you more than 3 days to ship, can you expect positive feedback? Since negative or even neutral feedback is no longer allowed then your feedback is your profit and your transaction count. I feel that I am fair about this. If it takes me 3-4 days to get back to ebay and find out I have won then I dont expect shipment for the same amount of time that it took me to pay in addition to the 3 day leeway I give a seller.
I also say that in the best interest of both seller and buyer the other should be contacted and explained why feedback will not be left. Many sellers if given the opurtunity will try to right a perceived negative transaction. Many buyers if contacted will do the same.

most buyers are fair about the process, accounting for when item was won versus them actually paying etc etc.

But what I'm saying is, since the feedback is not obligatory to either party, why should I as a seller act as if it is on my part, but 40% of the customers could care less and wont return the favor? Like I said earlier, I could just as easily withhold feedback from every buyer and save myself even more time.

I must be confused. If I just buy, why the hell would I be worried about feedback? If you pay for your stuff when you buy it, what is the difference?

I refuse to use ebay unless absolutely necessary. It's frustrating when you bid on an item that is set at a level below retail value and watch an anonymous account bid, and rebid against itself to raise the price above a certain level.

After the auction ends, I usually get an email from the seller trying to get me to buy the item for retail price...I find it unethical.

That's ebay for ya.

It was good when it was just one person selling to another person - trading some junk for a few extra bucks.

Now that it's become a storefront and full retail business for certain customers - it's really lost it's charm.

I don't know how or why ANYONE bothers with ebay anymore since 90% of the crap there is OVER retail price PLUS higher than normal shipping costs.

Why would I go buy a video game from some random ebay turd for $5 MORE than I can go down the street and buy it at the game store or pick up at amazon?

Every once in a while I go looking for certain specific items, but all I see anymore are these storefront people jacking up prices. There's no one on one user selling trading anymore (for the most part).

But, as long as there's morons out there still buying overpriced crap from these people, the site will continue to thrive and I will laugh at anyone who buys something on ebay and doesn't get what they want because they're buying junk from some skeevy online store that has faked 90% of their super high feedback rating and just end up getting burned because they trust that bull**** system. (yes, because I know how to do it).

I will not buy from a stroe. I want eBay to be one person cleaning out the gerage. I also will not buy from a seller who has a longer set of rules (feedback, shipping) then the item description. And if the seller has to appoligage for the shipping cost in advance...well...let's not go there.

I both buy and sell. As a seller, I post feedback as soon as I get the money and send an e-mail to the buyer that I received the money and posted positive feedback. As a seller, I am through. My part is over. It's up to the buyer if I shipped the item out in a timely manor and described the item correctly.

I really dislike what ebay has become. I agree that there are too many storefronts and people using it as primary income. I also don't like that a seller can't leave negative feedback anymore. When I do rarely sell I'd like to know which buyers are crappy, but anymore there is no way to know.

Back