"Easy" first all-grain recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nhindian

Reaction score
I've been an extract brewer for about 8 batches now but have been getting the itch to move to all-grain.

What would be a good recipe to start with that can get me comfortable with the new brewing procedure with the new equipment? Or does it not really matter?

Generally, it doesn't matter what the recipe is. The grains all go in the mash together, and it doesn't matter whether there are two kinds or ten kinds.

The only thing I'd suggest is staying away from beers with a higher percentage of corn or wheat for the first few times, until you know what your system is like.

I'd suggest looking over our recipe database, and pick one that sounds good to you. Any style would be doable- so if you want a stout, or a pale ale, or a brown ale, whatever, you can do it! My first batch was an IPA, since that's my favorite style.

8 lbs pale malt, mashed @ 150° F for 60 mins
60 minute boil
1 oz Cascade @ 60 mins
1 oz Cascade & 1/2 tsp Irish Moss @ 5 mins
Aerate with Fizz-X rod or paint mixer on a drill
Ferment w/ 1 packet rehydrated US-05 for 5 days at 65° F, then let warm up to 68° F for 2 more weeks.

I've done 11 AG batches now, my first one was a Cream Ale back in July. I chose a cream ale because the ingredients were relatively cheap and I figured that if did something stupid and ended up dumping the ingredients i wouldn't be out a ton of money.

Really though, it doesn't matter too much what you do. The process is mostly the same for all beers, and you'll primarily be focused on understanding the steps. An APA would be good since you're just guessing what your efficiency will be right now and it has a wide margain of error. Pick something you'll enjoy!

I've been an extract brewer for about 8 batches now but have been getting the itch to move to all-grain.

What would be a good recipe to start with that can get me comfortable with the new brewing procedure with the new equipment? Or does it not really matter?

I think sending in a sample of water to ward labs is a good start. If you are going to be doing all grain you could avoid a lot of frustration by spending $30 bucks on a water sample test, just so you can see what pH are you starting off with.

Second, pay close attention to the numbers. You want to dial in your system and if you measure all your water and temperatures and gravities the first go around it will save you a lot of aggravation in the future. Personally, I would go with a 1.050 pale or something like that. I wouldn't push the envelope on gravity or get too crazy with flavorings or adjuncts. You really want to use your first go to dial in strike and mash temps, water volumes ,etc.

+1 to Yooper's advice- brew what you want.

Only thing I might add is that boil off rate was my biggest wtf when I switched to all grain. Not so much what was in the tun.

I also agree with Yooper. You should brew what you want to drink. My only advice is that you keep the recipe and process simple. For example, brewing a barley wine might seem fun, but that could be a lot of work and time put into something that may not turn out the way you want it to. My first attempt at an all grain recipe was a mild. It's a style I like, is relatively simple to brew, and ferments quickly. I went from grain to glass in 4 weeks. Good luck on your first attempt!

I agree with Yooper except I would choose a recipe that doesn't have multiple mash steps. So avoid Decoctions and anything that calls for rests at multiple tempatures. Keep it simple with a single mash rest of 150-156(depending on the recipe) and a double batch sparge(if you are using a mash tun and not BIAB).

It's a longer process but very rewarding and more fun in my opinion.

Be sure to check the accuracy of your thermometer. This is more important in All-Grain compared to extract. My first all-grant batch was a Rye IPA that I accidently mashed at 162 because my thermometer was off. It finished at 1.024 and was way too sweet for an IPA!

Have fun!

Thanks for the advice guys! Yeah, I was mainly looking for a recipe that has some margin of error since I have no idea what my efficiency is like now.

Definitely springing for a good thermometer... Looking at a Thermpen or one of the probes from the same company.

I will be using a Coleman Xtreme 70qt mash tun since I want to move to 10gal batches.

I currently do full boils now so I think my boil off rate is pretty set.

Thanks again!

I did an APA SMASH recipe for my first AG that turned out real nice:

5.0 Gallon batch

10 lbs two row mashed at 152 for 60 minutes
1.0 oz Amarillo hops at 60 min
0.5 oz Amarillo at 15 min
0.5 oz Amarillo at 5 minutes

S-05 yeast ferment in primary at 60F for 3 weeks

It makes a well balanced, slightly sweet malt backbone in the low 5's ABV with a floral/fruit hop flavor and citrusy aroma.

I did Pliny the Elder for my first AG batch, despite some posters advising I brew something simpler. It turned out the be the best AG beer I've brewed thus far, but also the most expensive. Had I really screwed it up then I may have wished I'd gone with something cheaper for a first AG batch.

If possible, I would recommend brewing an all-grain version of one of your favorite extract recipes. It's a great way to see the discernible differences between extract and all-grain brewing. One thing I recommend is tasting along the way, especially right as you collect your first runnings when the gravity is highest. :mug:

If your goal is to keep things easy, I recommend making a lower gravity beer. Less grain means less to haul in and less to dig out (remember it's going to be wet and hot). It means a smaller yeast starter too. As Andy mentioned it is also cheaper. Keep some DME on hand just in case you don't meet the right gravity. If your taste allows, fewer hop additions can also keep the brew day easy. Instead of worrying about 5 addition times of six varieties, you can just hang out and tinker with your new brew setup.

As a side note there is nothing wrong with starting off easy and there's nothing wrong with low gravity or low hop beers. Sure you can go all out on your first try, but there's plenty of time to make larger gravity beers with first wort hopping, multiple boil additions, whirlpool additions, hop bursting, hopback, and dry hopped. Use this time to think things through and keep things as stress free as possible.

I personally recommend doing a S.M.A.S.H. brew 1rst.
Do SEVERAL of them.
It will help you understand what flavors each base malt brings to your beer.
Maris otter and fuggles are a decent SMASH
Just pick out what style you seem to like most and look at recipes for it and try to simplify things a bit. Look at what base malts and hops are most commonly used in your style of prefference and make a SMASH based off of that info.

8 lbs pale malt, mashed @ 150° F for 60 mins
60 minute boil
1 oz Cascade @ 60 mins
1 oz Cascade & 1/2 tsp Irish Moss @ 5 mins
Aerate with Fizz-X rod or paint mixer on a drill
Ferment w/ 1 packet rehydrated US-05 for 5 days at 65° F, then let warm up to 68° F for 2 more weeks.

Love this simple, clean easy to drink recipe. We make bv this and in summer add a bit bnb of corriander we grow, lime peel or bitter orange. Affordable all day drinker.

Back