Easy fermentation question, not the easiest of answers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dfwarwick

Reaction score
So I've got a session IPA fermenting at about 68 degrees with WLP001. How long should it be fermented?

I'm not dry hopping (although I probably should and am open to the idea) and I'm force carb kegging the beer.

You might be done in a week, better at two. I have bottled most of the beers at two weeks. Like stated above, check your gravities after week and see if they hold.

Well, another thing to consider here is starting gravity. Higher starting gravity beers, above .060 generally benefit from an extra few days in primary after terminal gravity has been reached. I tend to do this with all beers, as the yeast has a chance to clean up any subtle off flavours.

I don't want to sound mean, but if you're asking questions like this, you clearly need to do some research. A lot of people put a lot of effort into reading/learning about brewing. The answer to your question is brought up in basically every introduction to brewing on the internet.

You should primary for 2 weeks then dry hop for 5-7. Not dry hopping an ipa is like not using Roasted barley in Guinness. Imo

Back