Easy Drinker for my Pop?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Genjin

Reaction score
My Dad drinks mostly PBR, but he is interested in my brewing and so I would like to brew up a small batch that he might like. Here is what I have far:

Batch size: 3.5 gal
Boil volume: 4.5 gal
OG: 1.052 FG: 1.013
Bitterness (IBU): 17.2
Color (SRM): 3.9
ABV: 5.1%

Two-row (US) 3.000lb Grain 42.9%
Vienna (German) 2.500lb Grain 35.7%
Flaked Corn 1.000lb Adjunct 14.3%
CaraPils 0.500lb Grain 7.1%

Hallertauer 1.00oz 3.2% AA Pellet 60 min, 17.2 IBU
S-04 Dry Yeast

I really like the way s-04 flocculates and at low temps it is pretty clean. My basement is 66F ambient, so I will do a swamp cooler and shoot to ferment at 60-62F. My goal is to limit esters, because I can't lager.

My goals are to brew something he will have more than one of. He has tried commercial craft brew from pale ales to barleywines, but he always goes back to PBR or BMC. I can't replicate those beers, but I want a clean, tasty easy drinking beer to take to my Pop this summer. I've never brewed such a light (color and body) beer before so any help would be appreciated!

Cream of 3 Crops by Biermuncher!

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f62/cream-three-crops-cream-ale-66503/

Can't go wrong on this one and every BMC drinker will love it. Also it costs $12 for the ingredients to make 5 gal! I'm making 10 gal of this for my brother's wedding this summer.

This is my version of this recipe:

5.5 gal batch:
6.0 lbs 2-row pale malt
2.0 lbs flaked corn (maize)
1.0 lbs flaked rice

0.7oz Williamette @ 80 min
0.25oz Williamette @ 20 min

US-05 dry ale yeast

16 IBU, 4.4% ABV, OG: 1.042, FG: 1.009

Thanks for the suggestion. I am getting excited about this one. Here is my modified version:

Pop's Ale

Batch size: 4.5 gal
Boil volume: 5.5 gal
OG: 1.050
FG: 1.012
Bitterness (IBU): 18.8
Color (SRM): 3.0
ABV: 4.9%

[Grains]
Two-row (US) 6lb
Flaked Corn 1.5lb
CaraPils 0.5lb
Flaked Rice 0.5lb

[Hops]
Hallertauer 1oz 4.5% @ 60 min, 18.8 IBU

S-04 yeast. 14 days at 64f

If you like a lawn mower beer from time to time this is a great one and I would suggest making a 5 gallon batch. I don't see any rice hulls in your recipe, the rice gets gummy and I would say they are a must. I have had this one get stuck on me a number of times with the use of rice hulls.

bad67z said:
If you like a lawn mower beer from time to time this is a great one and I would suggest making a 5 gallon batch. I don't see any rice hulls in your recipe, the rice gets gummy and I would say they are a must. I have had this one get stuck on me a number of times with the use of rice hulls.

great suggestion on the rice hulls. however, I biab so do you think I will still need them? I would make a five gallon batch, but I might only have a five gallon carboy available. If I can free up an ale pale I'll bump it up to 5.5 gallons.

I have brewed cream of three crops...centenniel blond at least 6 times...made up my owm lighter beer....I brewed JAMILS BLOND
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f62/jamils-blonde-ale-35824/
It is by far the most liked brew among my BMC drinking friends that I have brewed.. it is a simple easy recipe... I just brewed it again yesterday to run a buddy, who extract brews ,through the basics of AG brewing.

Avoid the rice hulls with the BIAB, especially since this is a proportionally small amount of rice. Instead, just make sure all that gummy stuff is well distributed in the mash.

Out of curiosity, why the switch to s-04?

You know, I have just had better results on my system with s-04. I have fermented both yeasts below 66f and gotten clean beer with minimal esters. But, the way s-04 flocculates means I get crystal clear beer. I don't have a good way to cold crash large quantities yet and I am not going to put animal products in my beer.

I could be persuaded to switch back if you guys think us-05 will clear well in bottles.

You'll probably get some diacetyl from the s-04. I've seen some very clear beers using US-05, whirfloc (irish moss) and time. If you're using US-05 and whirfloc and you're beer isn't clear, something is wrong.

Use US05 and ferment it as cold as you can. I recently fermented a modified version of biermunchers nierra sevada with it at 54 degrees. It is extremely clean. In fact cleaner than any other ale I have made to date due to the low temp. Also I would not worry about clarity. It will settle out. I always forget to use irish moss or whirlfloc and my beers are almost always clear as can be with 05 once it is time to start popping bottles open to enjoy.

Toga said:
Use US05 and ferment it as cold as you can. I recently fermented a modified version of biermunchers nierra sevada with it at 54 degrees. It is extremely clean. In fact cleaner than any other ale I have made to date due to the low temp. Also I would not worry about clarity. It will settle out. I always forget to use irish moss or whirlfloc and my beers are almost always clear as can be with 05 once it is time to start popping bottles open to enjoy.

Okay, I'll do it. Did you do a d-rest when fermenting that low. I was going to shot for 60f.

I did. I raised it to 162 after it was completely done fermenting and held it there for 4 days. I then dropped it back down and let it sit cool for 5 days before bottling.

Be prepared for a long fermentation and also pitch extra yeast to help compensate for the cold just as you would with a lager.

Back