Easiest beer I have ever made recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pick the name of this brew

• Easily Amused

• Easy squeeze, lemon peazy

• Easy Rider

• Name your own brew, loser

Results are only viewable after voting.
Just kegged my second batch of this one 5 minutes ago. Looks great, tastes better!

NTOLERANCE said:
Picked up some Apricot Extact. Thinking the tartness of the apricots will blend nicely.

I will post when its ready.

I used apricot my first time with this recipe - it garnered many a compliment

After reading the forums for a bit, I've followed the 1-2-3 rule. One week in primary, two weeks in secondary, three weeks in the bottle. I measured the SG today, and it was at 1010, the same as yesterday. It tasted pretty good, so I made an exception and bottled it. I'll have to let it sit for about a month in the bottle, because I'm going out of town, but I'll report back when I open my first one.

I brewed this again, 10 gallons this time, and tried to get more of a red hue to it.
I also more asertively hopped it. So, esentially its not the same recipe anymore, but more of an evolution. Still super easy to make:

5 Gallon Recipe:

6.6 lbs of Pale Liquid Extract
1/2 lb light dry extract
1/2 lb of Crystal 20L
.25 lb Choc Malt
.5 oz nugget at 60 min
.5 EKG at 10 min
.5 EKG at 5 min

Safale 05

This one was 2 gallons of RO water (chilled, waitng in the carboy) and the rest tap water.

OG came in at about 1.47

Should have a redish hue in the glass at 15.3 srm. Right now its a dark red/brown.

I just finished carbing the second 5 gallon batch of this. The secondary did this version some good. I think this hop profile works better than the saaz.

LeverTime said:
After reading the forums for a bit, I've followed the 1-2-3 rule. One week in primary, two weeks in secondary, three weeks in the bottle. I measured the SG today, and it was at 1010, the same as yesterday. It tasted pretty good, so I made an exception and bottled it. I'll have to let it sit for about a month in the bottle, because I'm going out of town, but I'll report back when I open my first one.

Just curious, where have you read this 1 2 3 rule? I don't think many people use secondaries anymore unless adding fruit, dry hopping or the like. Even then you still keep it in primary for at least 2 weeks. I leave my beers in primary for at least 3 weeks.

I brewed this again recently using the lighter hop schedule (0.5oz @ 60 min; 0.5 @ 20 min; 0.5oz @ 5 min) in an effort to please more people. I noticed that the beer is real malty, and lacks bitterness. I ended up deciding, "To hell with the BMC drinkers, I wanna enjoy my beer :D".

My beer is sitting in the kegerator, and my question is: Is there anything I could do at this point to increase the bitterness or decrease that overly malty taste? Perhaps dry hopping with a hop strainer?

If you check homebrew stores, sometimes they have "hop extract" -- that will add bitterness. If you want to do it yourself, just boil up some "hop tea" on the stove and add it in. Dry hopping will not add any bitterness, just aroma - but aroma is a good thing too. :mug:

This only works in KEGS, obviously. If it's bottled, you're stuck. ;)

About mid September I brewed 10 gallons of this recipe.

The only change was I already had light DME instead of wheat so that is what I used instead. Otherwise I used the Safale 05 for one of the five gallons and Hefe 380 for the other.

After getting them side by side you cant definitely tell the 05 is dryer. Enough so that my wife enjoys the Hefe and my buddy prefers the 05.

I know doing a 7 gallon boil gets higher utilization from the hops and so forth but it turned out great and after 7 weeks in the primary I am looking forward to having it carbonated.

5468-break-between-primaries-trip-brew-store-some-free-beer-brew-day.jpg

Thanks for the recipe, it was easy enough that I couldn't muck it up and it has so far been a crowd pleaser. :mug:

I have let it bottle condition for 2 weeks and it is tastey already, I will see if I can let it age some more but it already is one of my favorites!

I have read this whole thread.and I can't seen to find a definate ag recipe for this brew...any help

I have only a few HB suppliers here in Japan and none of them seems to have any light or extra light LME in stock. The closest I can find is Morgans Beer Enhancer. Can I substitute this in the recipe for the extra light LME?

The Morgan's enhancer seems like it's probably a pretty close equivalent to extra light DME/LME. It certainly didn't add any discernible flavour or colour the times I've used it.:mug:

It's marketed here as being "For use where you desire the lightest coloured beer without affecting the original flavour."

Ogri,
Thanks for your reply. I noticed that you are located in Osaka. Where do you usually get your HB supplies? I go with Sakeland, Advanced Brewing, and Homebrewing Service (actually I only order StarSan from them). Do you know another HB suppliers in Japan?

Ikkyu,

I'm in the same boat as you, mate. As in, using sakeland, advanced brewing and NB Japan for a lot of my brewing supplies. Have had a few things ordered on Amazon.com sent over from the states too but definitely works out a bit more expensive.

Only places in Japan I know about are all in the following link;

Link here

I've bought Safale S-04 yeast at Shinsaibashi Tokyu hands quite a few times and they have a range of Black Rock HMEs in stock as well as some HMEs that I think are produced by NB Japan. Hydrometer, bottle caps and a few other bits and bobs that are handy, if you're in a pinch.

Whereabouts in Osaka are you??

Sorry to sidetrack this thread. BTW I live in Yokohama. I am going to hold off on this brew until Sakeland gets some more extra-light LME. Gonna do a SMaSh instead...

I have read this whole thread.and I can't seen to find a definate ag recipe for this brew...any help

And you wont, at least not with the same results.

If you convert this over to AG youll have a much lighter colored and flavored beer.

The extracts are much darker in color, and much heavier in maltiness.

What would be a close approximate in all-grain for these?

3.3 lbs extra light extract syrup
3.3 lbs wheat extract syrup
1 lb wheat dry extract
.25 lbs carapils/dextrine
.25 lbs crystal 20L

This is my "house beer", and now that I've gone all-grain, I need to figure out the equivalents before Spring rolls around.

Would 6.5 lb wheat malt, 3.5 lb 2-row, 0.5 lb Dex, and 0.5 lb 20L at least get me in the ballpark?

Thanks!
Dave

What would be a close approximate in all-grain for these?

3.3 lbs extra light extract syrup
3.3 lbs wheat extract syrup
1 lb wheat dry extract
.25 lbs carapils/dextrine
.25 lbs crystal 20L

This is my "house beer", and now that I've gone all-grain, I need to figure out the equivalents before Spring rolls around.

Would 6.5 lb wheat malt, 3.5 lb 2-row, 0.5 lb Dex, and 0.5 lb 20L at least get me in the ballpark?

Thanks!
Dave

This is how beersmith converts it:

All grain

6.0 Lbs Belgian Wheat Malt
4.0 lbs 2 row
.5 Crystal/Caramel 10L

All grain, I would definetly do a WLP380

But again, it will look and taste nothing like the original recipe.

This is how beersmith converts it:

All grain

6.0 Lbs Belgian Wheat Malt
4.0 lbs 2 row
.5 Crystal/Caramel 10L

All grain, I would definetly do a WLP380

But again, it will look and taste nothing like the original recipe.

When you say that it will taste nothing like the original recipe, it makes me curious. Is there no way to use an all-grain approach to this and get something that's at least similar? I can't imagine that the flavor profile is so unique that only an extract recipe can create it.

By the way, in terms of the flavor, this recipe has been an absolute hit at my house, and placed well at a local homebrew contest. So thanks for posting it!

Been lurking around these forums for a while and wanted to get into extract brewing. Been using the dirty old pre-hopped cans and enhancers for a while but wanted to try something like this for ages.

Finally got all my ingredients and a big enough brew pot.....tonight I loose my brew cherry to this recipe!! :rockin:

Been lurking around these forums for a while and wanted to get into extract brewing. Been using the dirty old pre-hopped cans and enhancers for a while but wanted to try something like this for ages.

Finally got all my ingredients and a big enough brew pot.....tonight I loose my brew cherry to this recipe!! :rockin:

Great place to start, you'll be pleased with the results!

this is a very noob question, but the full extract cost would be like 30-40 bucks for me (3lb of extract is like 14 bucks at my lhbs), the partial mash mentioned above still has 6lb of extract syrup, any way to cut that down more?

im brewing on a super budget

this is a very noob question, but the full extract cost would be like 30-40 bucks for me (3lb of extract is like 14 bucks at my lhbs), the partial mash mentioned above still has 6lb of extract syrup, any way to cut that down more?

im brewing on a super budget

Try to order northern brewer or a local online shop. NB charges like $8 to ship most things I believe.

Well, just popped a bottle. Wow is all I can. Doesn't taste all that "green" at all. Slight orange and coriander flavours, great head and mouth feel.

Will definitely be brewing this again!

When you say that it will taste nothing like the original recipe, it makes me curious. Is there no way to use an all-grain approach to this and get something that's at least similar? I can't imagine that the flavor profile is so unique that only an extract recipe can create it.

By the way, in terms of the flavor, this recipe has been an absolute hit at my house, and placed well at a local homebrew contest. So thanks for posting it!

I also bewed this before I went AG , I revisited this thread hoping for the AG recipe, I would hope that the only taste difference would be the extract 'twang' will be gone--(not that there is anything wrong with that!!!) I will work up a AG recipe with a little more alc % and post it when I can after its kegged and ready. I dont want to post a recipe that doesnt cut it.

i have the ingredients for this recipe on hand now. working with beersmith i was coming up with a late extract addition hop schedule. keeping the est. ibu around 17-18 i have come up with the following:

changed boil time to 40 mins
i am capable of full boils, so i will be starting with 5.5 gallons of water to steep carapil and crystal, 40 min boil, and this should leave enough after cooling for 5 gallon entering the fermenter. trying to avoid top-off.

add
.91 lbs Wheat DME
.66 lbs Extra Light DME

bring to boil, start timer

40 mins: .50 oz Saaz
15 mins: .75 oz Saaz
10 mins: 1 oz Coriander seed
1 oz Bitter Orange peel
1.98 lbs Extra Light DME
2.73 lbs Wheat DME
5 mins: .75 oz Saaz
0 mins: flame out

according to beersmith this gives an est OG 1.055, est FG 1.012, IBU 18.9

does any of this make any sense? should i scrap this idea and go back to the traditional 60 min boil, add all of the DME at start, back to the hop schedule that ends with a 17.9 ibu?

there is a very good chance i am over thinking this and should just set the recipe and stop messing with it...

I also bewed this before I went AG , I revisited this thread hoping for the AG recipe, I would hope that the only taste difference would be the extract 'twang' will be gone--(not that there is anything wrong with that!!!) I will work up a AG recipe with a little more alc % and post it when I can after its kegged and ready. I dont want to post a recipe that doesnt cut it.

Well this recipe pretty much is just a belgian wit. I'm entirely sure one could come up with something very similar to this using AG. I think what the OP was referring to was a particular recipe that someone posted, that would taste entirely different.

In any case, if you're an AG brewer and want something similar to this, I think BierMuncher has a recipe you might enjoy. Now I've tried this one, but have not tried BierMuncher's, so I cant really compare, but by the looks of the recipe, it should be similar. Here is the link:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f71/blue-balls-belgian-wit-blue-moon-clone-24978/
The only changes you may make is replace to Saaz hops, and target IBU's accordingly, and use the S-04 yeast if you prefer that.

Hello, I really want to make NTOLERANCE amber wheat for my second brew ever, brewing kit from (Midwest Brewing) should be here tomorrow and includes a lme red ale, 1-is this amber wheat about the same difficulty as the kit red ale Im getting?
2-could I use a Saison Yeast (recommended fermentation temp of 90 deg) with this recipe? I want to be able to ferment with high temps, I live in Arizona and in summer the coolest temp room is going to be at 85 deg and I really don't want to have to buy a freezer and temp controller to brew.
Thanks
WileECoyote

Hello, I really want to make NTOLERANCE amber wheat for my second brew ever, brewing kit from (Midwest Brewing) should be here tomorrow and includes a lme red ale, 1-is this amber wheat about the same difficulty as the kit red ale Im getting?

I'm not sure how you can get any easier than the "Easiest beer I have ever made"! In all seriousness, most extract kits are about the same level of difficulty. The only thing that really varies is if there are steeping grains or not. However, I don't think a recipe with steeping grains would be too hard to be your first batch at all. So, in essence: Brew this!

2-could I use a Saison Yeast (recommended fermentation temp of 90 deg) with this recipe? I want to be able to ferment with high temps, I live in Arizona and in summer the coolest temp room is going to be at 85 deg and I really don't want to have to buy a freezer and temp controller to brew.
Thanks
WileECoyote

You can certainly use whatever yeast you want to, but changing yeast will change the beer. I have never used saison yeast myself but Saison is a style of beer with a lot of esther (fruity/spicy/funky) flavors going on from the strain of yeast and the high fermentation temperature. So, yes you can brew this with Saison yeast at 90 degrees but the beer will be VERY different than if you brewed it with S-05 or WYeast 1056 and fermented it at 68f.

I would seriously look at making a "swamp cooler" for your fermentation, unless you really want to brew a Belgian Saison style. You can get a big rubbermaid crate, fill it with water, stick the fermentation bucket in it, add some frozen water bottles and keep your temps under 70 degrees i'm sure. No need for a chest freezer yet. You can also look into building a "Son of a fermentation" chamber, but a swamp cooler is the most basic/cheapest you just have to watch it and keep adding ice/frozen water bottles to keep the temp down.

You can even make the swamp cooler a little more efficient by putting a tshift on the bucket/carboy to wick up the water and point a fan at it. The evaporating water will help cool the beer even more. This is probably more effective with a carboy just because the shirt will fit it better but the principle is the same for a bucket too.

This is very similar to the simple brew I made last weekend other than I use partial mash:

5.0 gal batch

3 lbs White Wheat Malt (mash)
3 lbs light DME
1 lb flaked oats (mash)
1 lb clover honey

1.25oz Fuggles Hops @ 80 min

WB-06 or US-05 for a less cloudy brew.

1/2 oz crushed coriander in last 10 min of boil
1/4 oz sweet orange peel (dry) in last 5 min of boil

OG: 1.052
FG: 1.012
5.5% ABV, 19 IBUs

This is going to turn out awesome and it only cost about $20 in ingredients if you use the partial mash.

Anyone make this with all DME? What kind and how much would you use, and would the end product taste about the same?

Back