Easiest and/or best practice Keg and line cleaning???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MVKTR2

Reaction score
Need a quick answer if possible.

I'm going to use my kegs for the first time in 2 years. Prior to putting them away I cleaned, dried, and purged everything with CO2. Can't recall but I may have filled the beer lines with oxiclean.

What can I expect and what do I need to purchase (including brands) and how to clean kegs/lines. I'm figuring a good wash and sanitizing for the kegs, and a good oxiclean soak for the hoses/lines will be all that's needed?
Do I need to order new picnic taps or even replace the lines and taps?

I think everthing will be fine like you said. You could always just push some water through the lines to make sure there are no leaks from sitting around for a couple years, but I doubt it.

If the line has been sitting around for a while I'd flush it with beer line cleaner (then water, per the BLC instructions). The easiest thing is to just put it in the keg and push it through with CO2.

I'd be hesitant to use lines that have been sitting unused for 2 years, but it sounds like you took good care of it so maybe that's okay.

If I'm really just switching kegs then I'll fill the new keg with starsan (as I do anyway before putting beer in it) and push that through the lines & faucet.

For the low cost, I would go ahead and replace the lines, especially because they are most likely vinyl. If they were barrier line, I would be more inclined to do a thorough cleaning, sanitizing, and then use.

Do a visual inspection of everything, leak check all components before use, check all seals to ensure they are in good working order and pliable, no cracks, etc. Anything that is suspect, replace, so that you don't have to worry about it.

Thanks for the replies. I've been small-batch brewing because of space and circumstances for the past couple years and just ordered a sack of grain etc to go back to 5 gal batches. I'll be putting water in and checking for leaks, testing everything out for sure. Will probably go ahead and order new lines.

I asked for the quick reply because I thought I might get something added to my order before it ships bit I'll wait to check things out then order.

Thanks for the replies.

What line cleaners do yall use? Do you use something other than putting it in the keg and pumping it through?
As I said in the past I've rinsed, and run star-san or oxi clean through depending on how fast I'm turning it around/what I did before.

A dedicated line cleaner is best practice, but there are many options that you can use. I personally used BLC in the past, and have a bottle of penetrate, which is essentially a more concentrated BLC by the same company. They also make a DAC, which also has a stronger caustic in it (NaOH).

I use my march pump, camping stove, and small pot to recirculate heated solution. This works for me, but many are happy with pumping from a keg, or a garden pump, there is a thread here.

Back