Earthy, Floral, Piney and Spicy beers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ludomonster

Reaction score
I've been struggling with distinguishing between the earthy, floral, piney and spicy flavors and aromas of hops. I can read about what hops typically have these characteristics; however, that doesn't always translate to sense memory for me.

What beers have one of these traits as their dominant flavor and aroma?

I would prefer recommendations of light-color beers with clean yeasts so that I can focus on the hop character. If there is a darker style that I absolutely must try, I suppose I can oblige.

You could get ounce packets of hops and open them to smell them. Earthy, flora, spicy are quite broad. Go to a bar and smell hopped beers on tap as they are generally fresher than bottles and therefore you can smell hops better. Get a Dogfish Head 60 minute IPA on tap for a bouquet of different hops aromas from floral to citrus to earthy. It's actually intoxicating to smell that smell.

I've always thought Great Divide's Titan IPA is very clearly, and deliciously, piney. Stones 16th anniversary IPA is out right now and that's perfectly citrusy. German lagers are a good combo of spicy and earthy, though those can be admittedly difficult to disaggregate. Bo Pils are typically on the spicy end, and very clean in the yeast department.

+1 on getting a bunch of 1oz packs for smelling.

I would also think doing a bunch of SMASHes might give you a good idea of each hop and what it contributes (e.g. EKG or fuggles, perhaps willamette for earthy; Simcoe, Amarillo, Cascade for citrusy; I think columbus is pretty resiny; Noble hops are mostly some variation of spicy and earthy and floral, though they all have very different characters - Saaz is definity the go-to for spicy; bobek is a good middle ground between spicy and citrusy).

I think you were looking for suggestions of commercial beers, so I hope this is helpful!

Back