Trying to add spiciness to a stout clone, help needed..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bostrows128

Reaction score
I'm trying to replicate a beer I have absolutely fallen in love with while trying to change it up a little (New Holland Dragons Milk Reserve 2022 1). Essentially this beer was flooding with cinnamon, vanilla, bourbon, and spiciness. I feel like I already got the cinnamon part down and vanilla but I'm struggling to try to find an answer to the spicy part.

Essentially, I want to add some heat to the back of the beer, not anything that's going to break a sweat but just enough to be noticeable. Everything I've read is about encapsulating the pepper flavor and aroma, but personally, I only need the heat. That being said has anyone experimented with peppered stouts? Has anyone figured out how to get only the heat? I plan on tasting the beer while in secondary so as to not overshoot.

Here's my rough recipe if anyone is interested

Hi. Not peppery stouts, but you could buy Capsaicin Extract or make your own with pepper powder.

Just test before. I homemade once with cayenne pepper powder and cereal alcohol (do not use anything with oil), and was surprisingly VERY strong. Really, I love it, but some high dosage bottles, 2 mL, were very hot. If you overdose, bad news here, the bite doesn't fade with time.

If you try, give some feedback.

Good luck!

Grains of paradise or black pepper corns work well in a stout/porter, to spice things up.

I use1 habanyeo with cut in the side during the last 10minutes od the boil. Then fish it out and discard.

Gives me all the heat and smoky ness I want in a stout.

I’ll second black pepper and add caraway seeds at the last 10 minutes of boil. I use 1/2 a teaspoon so not over powering.

Earlier in my brew days I made a chili pepper beer with jalapeños at the end of fermentation. Nope, won’t go that route again.

I’d probably do a vodka tincture with something on the hotter side. Habanero or greater Scoville = more heat with less vegetal matter. Maybe even a bourbon tincture since you’re using that anyway.

Not related to your original question but looking at your recipe, IBU’s might be a tad low. Although some perceived bitterness might come from the chili, the oak and the bourbon so maybe you’re in the ballpark.

Back