Earthy Aftertatse/Twang

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nicklawmusic

Reaction score
I've brewed 3 beers from kits now: 1 Wilkos Sweet Newkie Brown, 1 Coopers IPA, and 1 Coopers Irish Stout.

The IPA tasted utterly fantastic but the Brown ale had an earthy taste to it. I've got the stout on at the moment and, having tasted it when taking a hydrometer reading (I think it's about ready to bottle), I have the same aftertaste (of this time it is much less pronounced).

Any ideas what this might be? I'm pretty scrupulous with sanitation so I don't think the beer is infected, also with the brown ale and Stout there have been a couple of occasions where the temperature was a degree or two (C) over the recommended range. I'm using Nottingham yeast.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

It could be flavor from the yeast, or even a hops flavor that you are unfamiliar with. It sounds similar to a flavor I get if I don't pitch enough hops.

I did wonder whether it was chocolate malt as I used some steeping grains in the stout, which I should imagine, would be in the grain bill for the Newkie Brown.

I've just never really tasted it before in beer you buy from the shop or the pub.

Some hops like fuggle have an earthy flavor. Plus those two Cooper's beers are malt forward with little hop presence.

Do you think it's genuine flavours then rather than stressed yeast or an infection? I've never really tasted it in beer before as prominently.

AaronTX: I thought it could just be an extract twang, but I didn't have it with the Coopers IPA and I've used spraymalt as my additional fermentables rather than LME.

Without tasting it all anyone can do over the internet is name some typical [off] flavors. You should bring a few bottles to a local brew club or LHBS and ask for feedback.

Back