Early transfer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VillageBrew

Reaction score
Last night I racked my Belgian Wit from the primary to the carboy after one week. I was assured by my LHBS that it was a good time. I took them as knowing what was right, because I was looking to buy another fermenting bucket for my new brew (Fuller's Porter nock off) that I made last night. But, they talked me out of buying another one because my Wit was ready to be moved to a secondary and I could just use the primary that it was in for the porter.

1) Is there something that I am missing about keeping the brew in the primary for at least two weeks so that the yeast can clean up a little bit during the second week?
2) Or is the Wit that cloudy of a beer that one week will suffice?
3) Should I now keep it in the carboy for a little extra time?
4) Why would my LHBS talk me out of spending money on brewing equipment that my wife had approved??? :drunk:

1 - There's always differing schools of thought, but many (most?) of the posters here recommend 3-4 weeks in the primary, contrary to what many beginner resources and LHBS's recommend. The yeast do clean up after themselves.

2 - For any kind of wheat beer (including wit) the accepted wisdom is that cloudy is OK, so it's not necessarily required to keep it in primary for the full 3-4 weeks. But I still don't go less than 2, and I usually do 3.

3 - I'd leave it in the carboy longer. 3-4 weeks until bottling will produce great results.

4 - Maybe they are decent human beings and would rather see you spend that money on ingredients. :D But I would definitely get yourself another primary vessel ASAP, because you are going to want it!

leaving the beer on the yeast for two weeks will allow the yeast to absorb the diacityl that it produced during the initial fermentation... if the green beer was near the final gravity you shouldn't have a problem.

A wit is a very cloudy beer, but that isn't the reason to let it sit for the second week.

keeping the beer in the carboy a little extra time would help the beer, but not because you racked off of the first yeast cake and trub.

The LHBS was just telling you what they thought was best from their experiences/ education.

long primarys are a great and wonderfull thing but racking to secondary a little early wont hert a thing as long as everything is clean and sanitized.. there is still alot of yeast in the beer when racking and they will still clean up!!!

Back