early pellicle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

believeinsteve

Reaction score
So I know patience is key and I have been doing my homework on wild stuff, however I was under the impression that I shouldn't see a pellicle for some time. I pitched wlp 655 just 4 days ago and now see a big one. I guess I should just RDWHAHB but wasn't expecting this so quick. Any thoughts?

ForumRunner_20111103_183554.jpg

What kind of beer is it?

If there was a lot of oxygen in the head space I wouldnt be too surprised. When I had my old ale pellicle drop, it came right back in about 6 days in September. What's the temp? I know that temperature can affect how fast the yeast/bugs work.

Its very similar to sanctification. 2 row, then equal portions Vienna, white wheat, and acidulated all around 5%. O.g. 1.054. No o2, just aerated from transferring out of the kettle.

Pretty sure its not krauesen. I made a ten gallon batch and pitched wyeast roselare in the other one. It was going crazy the next day and has since died down.

Mine looks very similar to the pics in the pellicle thread, so I just assumed it was, but just wasn't expecting that to be the first thing I see.

Oh and both bug blends were pitched around 72, now they're both sitting at 64.

I'm not too surprised. Like you said, RDWHAHB. Check the gravity and get a taste sample in a few weeks to make sure it's coming along.

Back