Early Morning Brews

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did a pear cider this morning in 30 minutes. Aerated, added a little dextrine and added yeast, in the chamber... Done. Wish my all grain went this fast lol
Now... Cup of joe

Heating strike water now. More excited today, probably because today isn't an actual day off. Should be done by noon then off to work.

I woke up yesterday and promptly started brewing. It is nice to brew in the cool cool cool of the morning. I made vanilla Porter, matched numbers wells, have airlock activity within about 5 hours. Now just a matter waiting for fermentation to slow so I can add vanilla beans. My brother made a similar beer not too long ago and he was disappointed because the brew shop guy told him to add the beans at flame out, he got little to no vanilla. I wish they had a test for brew shop people, so you would be able to trust their advice.

First runnings of my first NEIPA looking pretty Golden Light this morning...

IMG_1339.jpg

Just fired up my strike water for my house amber.

This will be my first homebrew that I make in 6 months!

Had strike water heating up at around 5:30. Just waiting for the time to start my late hop additions.

6am about to mash in. Nice cold morning. Probably pushing it bit with my Christmas Stout. Come February it should be really good...

Heated strike at 430. All done and cleaned up, even with a 45 min hop stand.

Ground water is cold again, makes chilling so much easier

I forgot about this thread, I used to post in it a few years ago when I got up regularly on Saturday mornings to brew, sometimes before 6am while my gf still slept and I'd be done by the time she got up. Sadly, no longer with her and I don't do super early morning brews anymore. Maybe I should start doing some again... It's always fun getting up, starting brewing, getting some coffee going before the sun is up.

Dang it. I got up early this am and had planned to start mashing ASAP. After breakfast I got so sleepy despite two cups of coffee. So I got started at noon after my mid morning nap.

Did my first early morning brew yesterday. Mashing in before 7am with hot coffee in hand. Wife made some homeade biscuits while mashing, and i was all cleaned up and fermenting before noon. Great way to homebrew!

Getting strike water heated up. Moon is still out, can see a few stars. Sun won't be out for awhile yet with the change to daylight savings. A calm, crisp morning. A great day to brew!

This past weekend I did a super early brew, 4:30 am mash in. Coffee in hand, I just finished cleaning up a little after the kid woke up, ~9AM. Funny part was my wife asked me a couple times when I was going to brew. Down side was the clock change made it tough to get up for work.

I always start around 5am. Brew days are like Christmas, I wake up early raring to go. Almost always done by 11am when it's naptime.

i'm used to doing fairly early morning brews, mashing in around 0730. gonna have to switch to night brews as my daughter gets up at 7 and my wife works a night shift these days...we'll see how it goes..

It would have been earlier but I am starting my vacation this week so I got up around 8am. Got everything cleaned and weighed ingredients while heating strike water. Doughed in at noon sharp! Lol

I work nights, so I'm used to being up all night. When I start days off, I get home around midnight. I recently started thinking about brewing then. Wife and kids asleep, peace and quiet, stargazing.... The sound of coffee and a sunrise while brewing sounds awesome too. This thread inspired me... I think I'll try my "Honey, I'm late" honey rye next week when I get home at 1 am. [emoji482]

I work nights, so I'm used to being up all night. When I start days off, I get home around midnight. I recently started thinking about brewing then. Wife and kids asleep, peace and quiet, stargazing.... The sound of coffee and a sunrise while brewing sounds awesome too. This thread inspired me... I think I'll try my "Honey, I'm late" honey rye next week when I get home at 1 am. [emoji482]

For me, there is nothing more relaxing than a morning brew watching the sun coming up, illuminating the prairie horizon. It's awesome. Though, when I brew in the AM, no beer gets cracked. Coffee only.

Too bad I had to work today. I was wide awake at 5 am. Can't wait until Sunday.

I am going to get out equipment, set up and clean whatever I can, mill my grain, setup the coffee pot and be as ready as I can tonight.

Wake up about 4 tomorrow morning, turn coffee pot on, move cars out of the garage and light the strike water by 5. Doing 2 batches tomorrow. Mini mash milk stout and an all grain NEIPA. Gonna try to dough in the ipa as the boil is finishing on the stout.

For me, there is nothing more relaxing than a morning brew watching the sun coming up, illuminating the prairie horizon. It's awesome. Though, when I brew in the AM, no beer gets cracked. Coffee only.

This is what coffee beers are for :D

In spring and summer when I brew early in the AM, usually wake up at 5 and will be all doughed in by 6, then crack open a coffee beer if I have one in the fridge. When it's cooler out, once I'm doughed in I'm back in the house sipping on regular coffee to get warmed back up since all my brewing is in the garage.

I don't start quite as early as some of you, but my favorite brewdays are the ones where I get started around 7 and I have a quiet few hours to brew.

Good morning. I got strike water started around 7. Getting to the boil now. I must be a bit tired, feel like little things are out of sync. The vorlauf seemed hazier than normal. But I'm hitting my numbers. Big day, I'll just have to push through. Once I get this done I'm planning on working in the hop yard then kegging a maibock.

Well, that's cool... Heating sparge water and a thunderstorm decides to pass through. Could be interesting if it is still doing it come boil! Sure is nice at the moment though; right after the rain.

Heat on just after 5 AM this morning for a Belgian Tripel. Just resting while the immersion chiller does its job right now. It's nice to have the rest of the day free to do other things (except for the fact that today's schedule is finishing up taxes :mad:!)

Heat on just after 5 AM this morning for a Belgian Tripel. Just resting while the immersion chiller does its job right now. It's nice to have the rest of the day free to do other things (except for the fact that today's schedule is finishing up taxes :mad:!)

awesome! you make ur own candi sugar for that or just dump in table sugar during the boil?
just think of the refund and all the brewing ingredients you can buy with it!

awesome! you make ur own candi sugar for that or just dump in table sugar during the boil?
just think of the refund and all the brewing ingredients you can buy with it!

I add table sugar right after high krausen. Keeps the yeast going a bit longer.

Unfortunately, I did well with sales off the farm this year, so I am struggling to avoid paying anything extra. No big investment for me this year.

Just mashed in at 915 this morning.... Making a blonde ale with flaked oats... with coffee and vanilla beans added after primary fermentation ! Should be a good summer brew and something maybe even my friends will drink as they dislike hoppy beer..... and well.. thats my Fav. ha

Just mashed in at 915 this morning.... Making a blonde ale with flaked oats... with coffee and vanilla beans added after primary fermentation ! Should be a good summer brew and something maybe even my friends will drink as they dislike hoppy beer..... and well.. thats my Fav. ha

What time do you normally get up if 9:15 qualifies as "early"? LOL!

Just pulled out all my gear, performed my measurements for hops, grain, and water additions, put my shoes beside the garage door.

I'm hoping to get started tomorrow morning by 5:30. Any others brewing early tomorrow?

I brew at 9 am as i dont like to drink till flame out and the SWMBO doesnt like me to drink before noon. As in any good thing one must find balance. Im usually into the stash by 12:30 when i start to put it away and soak components.

Back