E/SE Nebraska group buy 2015

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sfgoat

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Well good news everyone. I finally have my account with country malt group set up and we can get a group buy going. If people have a need for grain I will have an updated spreadsheet put up soon and we can start compiling an order just in time for tax refunds. The only issue that might arise for some is that I live in plattsmouth so no more Lincoln pick ups. Also my delivery situation is not the most ideal as I don't have a lot of space to hold bags for those who can't pick up right away. So if someone with a large garage or outbuilding wants to volunteer to receive and distribute grain it would be better but we can still make it work at my place if need be. I will be sending out the link with the updated spreadsheets soon. In addition to this thread there is an email list that I can add you to if you are new this time around. Just pm me your email. Please try to discuss bag splits and the such here in the thread though. Thanks Everyone.

Link to the buy spreadsheet is here.

Same as last time with the spreadsheet. Just change the name of the sheet to your name and enter in the quantities of the items you want. This is the same thing as what we did with Tre last time.

Alright. Same as last time with the spreadsheet. Just change the name of the sheet to your name and enter in the quantities of the items you want. This is the same thing as what we did with Tre last time. I have updated the prices to represent the most current price list from CMG. Some prices have gone up a little and some have come down a little but most are the same. I have removed anything that is discontinued but this list does not contain everything that we can get so if there is something you are interested in just let me know and if its something I can get I'll throw it on the list for you. Please remember that hops come in 11lb bails and so we need to be able to garner enough interest in a split to justify it. The link to the spreadsheet is here.I will also edit the first post to have it there. Let me know if there are any questions or concerns. Thanks guys.

Just putting out there that I would be willing to split a bag of flaked rye and flaked wheat with someone if interested.

Also they do have EKG hops that we can get for $12/lb and I would take 2 lbs (maybe more) if enough people are interested in the rest of the bail.

We are about half way there with this pallet. We can get 2,300lbs on a pallet and general consensus is usually to place the order and close the buy once we fill a pallet, which is what I plan to do unless there is a large outpouring of interest in continuing.

We are about half way there with this pallet. We can get 2,300lbs on a pallet and general consensus is usually to place the order and close the buy once we fill a pallet, which is what I plan to do unless there is a large outpouring of interest in continuing.

Any chance of getting some chinook, citra, cascade, EKG, or centennial hops?

Or are magnum / fuggle the only options?

Thanks for all your work on this btw.

Any chance of getting some chinook, citra, cascade, EKG, or centennial hops?

Or are magnum / fuggle the only options?

Thanks for all your work on this btw.

Unfortunately breweries get first dibs on hops and they are typically sold out before they are even harvested that year . We can get Chinook for $11/lb , and EKG for $12/lb. But we need to have enough interest to justify an 11lb bail because that is how they come. I would be willing to do 2 lbs of each of those if we can garner the interest in the rest of the bails.

Just a quick question, maybe I've missed the discussion on this, but how do we split shipping and how do I actually pay for the grain I intend to buy?

Just a quick question, maybe I've missed the discussion on this, but how do we split shipping and how do I actually pay for the grain I intend to buy?

If you check the master page it breaks down the shipping into a per lb basis. The shipping rate from CMG is a flat rate so we just do the math to break it down per pound that way everyone pays their share based on how much they order. Once we have enough grain to order a full pallet you just PayPal me the amount you owe which is calculated automatically by the spreadsheet. If you are not a PayPal user then you can mail me a money order (or just come by my place to pay cash ) and once everyone is paid in I order the grain using my retailer account and then it takes about 5 business days for the grain to arrive at my place and then you just come get it.

I should also add that the shipping gets cheaper per pound the closer to 2,300 pounds we get.

Just to follow up I have a connection at a grocery store and asked him if he could get me vanilla beans at cost. I don't really know much about them but he said he can get me grade A vanilla beans at about $1/bean. I could just get a case or whatever from him and self distribute from the orders. Let me know if you are interested.

Unfortunately breweries get first dibs on hops and they are typically sold out before they are even harvested that year . We can get Chinook for $11/lb , and EKG for $12/lb. But we need to have enough interest to justify an 11lb bail because that is how they come. I would be willing to do 2 lbs of each of those if we can garner the interest in the rest of the bails.

I would do 1 lb of each as well if there is interest from others

My house in Plattsmouth, NE and Paul in Gretna said he would take some to his place if it is more convenient for some. Should be about the same drive time for you Fins just a bit of a change of course.

I thought that was the situation, but wanted to confirm. I usually get 2-row from tallgrass for $45 a bag but have asked if they will do wheat as well and will find out today. If not, I will be putting my name down for a few bags and will get in touch with you about payment. Thanks for doing this!

We still need to get about 1000 pounds (20 bags) before we can get the order under way so if you have friends or know anyone that might be interested in retailers pricing then help them find us. I'm not in a hurry to close the buy but I know some of you might be. I'm ok with closing it early if the general consensus is to do so but our shipping costs will be higher. Still would cost less than ordering from anywhere else but we can get it cheaper if we get the pallet full.

Also, on the EKG and Chinook hops we only have 3 pounds spoken for of each so we have 8 pounds of each up for grabs before we can actually make it part of the order.

I am content to wait. My supplies are low but my pipeline is full! I will ask a couple people to see if we can get things moving.

Guys, Since interest has appeared to slow, I thought I would send out some feelers on anyone who might be interested in splitting full bags of grain?

I would be interested in half-bag quantities of dark munich and wheat malt, and possibly others.

If there is a better way to handle partial bags of grain, someone let me know.

Guys, Since interest has appeared to slow, I thought I would send out some feelers on anyone who might be interested in splitting full bags of grain?

I would be interested in half-bag quantities of dark munich and wheat malt, and possibly others.

If there is a better way to handle partial bags of grain, someone let me know.

Yeah from what it sounds like, the Lincoln guys mostly got hooked up with a club buy recently so it will probably move faster next time around.

As far as splits I am looking to split bags of flaked wheat and flaked rye. Could even do a three way split if anyone is interested.

Just putting this out there that I am in talks with BrewCraft about getting set up with them. This may make a lot more stuff accessible for us at reasonable quantities. Thing like hops would no longer be limited to 11lb bails and we could have a wider selection of them as well as putting yeast on the table for quite cheap. Stay tuned for more. Overall their prices are pretty much the same as CMG but the shipping could make or break the deal, I'm still waiting to hear about how that works.

So after discussing shipping costs with brewcraft I have determined that ordering grain through them is not very feasible as shipping a pallet from WA would cost us double. But if anyone is interested I would be willing to run smaller buys in between our grain buys in which we could place orders for hops by the pound and yeast. There is a lot available through them including wine stuff and shipping is reasonable until we start hitting pallet size orders. Let me know if anyone is interested in doing this.

Sorry for going incommunicado, there's a lot going on right now and I'm about 2 weeks behind where I want to be on everything from full fermenters, to laundry, to brew club responsibilities to bills.

I need to get in touch with the guy who hosts our annual Big Brew to figure out a plan -- I will probably need to order 2 - 5 sacks of malt for that project once I know what the plan is.
I will try to get ahold of him in the next day or two.

Chris

As far as I know there are still 2 parties I think that are compiling their orders for the buy. I haven't heard from them in a bit but I'll keep but these two are the only ones I've heard about so once I hear back from them we might be close to closing the buy. Without their orders we still need 600lbs or so to make a full pallet but orders are slow so we might have to close this one early. Keep me updated everybody.

Looks like we had a couple of people pull their orders which dropped us about 600lbs. We were really close to closing too. Just going to have to keep dragging it out I guess. If you guys have any questions or concerns please let me know. I realize it is taking a bit to get this one finished but the whole point is to maximize savings by spreading shipping costs across an entire pallet. Most of you know all of this already but there are a few new people out and I'm not 100% sure but I think the order pull was due to impatience. We will get it there guys, we just need to get a full pallet first.

Is this still a viable buy? I'd be in for a couple of bags of 2-row pale and probably a bag of pilsner. Let me know.

I'm not sure who placed the order on the page titlted "sheet 1" but if you could let me know who you are I would appreciate it. Thanks.

I'm not sure who placed the order on the page titlted "sheet 1" but if you could let me know who you are I would appreciate it. Thanks.

I really need an answer on who placed the order on "Sheet 1" If i don't get an answer I'll have to delete it and that will set us back a bit.

Just posting to keep this alive. We have run this one for quite awhile and still have about 800 lbs to go. We have gotten there twice now but had people drop their orders which caused delays. It would be nice to close this by the end of the month but I will continue to run with it as long as we need to. So if you have friends or clubs or coworkers that might be interested feel free to invite them along. I know the drive to Plattsmouth is a bit out there for some of you but we also have a member that lives in Gretna and has volunteered to allow people to pick up there as well. And for the Omaha guys, I work in Omaha and sometimes La Vista so I can always work something out with you for delivery or pickup. In the past I have picked up a few orders in Lincoln and dropped off to Omaha guys on my way to/from work.

Also if there is something you want that is not listed just let me know and I'll see if we can get it. The list is not all inclusive so there is more out there.

Back