Duvel Re-mash mash help!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wesleyjo

Reaction score
I am attempting to brew a partial mash Duvel clone this week. My fermentables for the 5 gallon batch are as follows.

7# Light LME
2# Belgian 2-row

In order to reach the high attenuation of a real Duvel, I will be re-mashing the LME in with the Belgian 2-row mini mash, at a target temperature of 149 degrees. There should be enough enzymes in the 2 row to munch away at the LME, converting even more to fermentable sugars.

I do have a converted cooler mash tun w/ stainless steel braid manifold that I will be using for the mini mash. My procedure will be as follows.

In my kettle, heat 2 gallons of water to boiling

Remove from heat

Add 7# Light LME

Add this wort to mash tun

Allow to cool to strike temp

Add 2# belgian 2 row and mash at 149 degrees f for 45 min

This should give me a very fermentable wort and allow this beer to finish bone dry.

My question is, what temperature should I allow the 2 gallons of wort to cool to before I add the belgian 2 row in order to hit my target of 149 f? This is not your typical mash, strike temp calculators are meant to be used with fresh water, not fresh water mixed with 7 pounds of LME. I am not a very experienced all grain brewer. Any help on this matter would be appreciated!

Maybe someone else can chime in here...but I would think that mashing in wort wouldn't do anything to increase your fermentability. The LME wouldn't benefit from any further "mashing" because all of the starches have already been converted prior to your purchasing it.

If you possibly can, mash a larger amount of belgian pilsner and keep the mash temp low, 149ish, then make up the remainder of your gravity with extra light extract.

Mashing your extract will probably increase its fermentability, but you definitely will need simple sugar to get your beer as dry as Duvel. The recipe in BCS has 3 pounds in a 5 gallon batch.

Also, do a rest close to 60ºC/140ºF for maximal beta amylase activity.

Duvel uses 17% corn sugar (Dextrose). Try the following fermentables. I would bump the 17% up to 20% (maybe even 25!) since you're not going to get the attenuation with any extract that you need for Duvel. They hit an OG of 1.069 and ferment down to the neighborhood of 1.004, for a crazy 93% attenuation. They pitch in the low 60s and let it rise as high as 84.

Amount Item Type % or IBU
6.00 lb Pale Liquid Extract (8.0 SRM) Extract 60.00 %
2.00 lb Pilsner (2 Row) Bel (2.0 SRM) Grain 20.00 %
2.00 lb Corn Sugar (Dextrose) (0.0 SRM) Sugar 20.00 %

Duvel uses 17% corn sugar (Dextrose). Try the following fermentables. I would bump the 17% up to 20% (maybe even 25!) since you're not going to get the attenuation with any extract that you need for Duvel. They hit an OG of 1.069 and ferment down to the neighborhood of 1.004, for a crazy 93% attenuation. They pitch in the low 60s and let it rise as high as 84.

Amount Item Type % or IBU
6.00 lb Pale Liquid Extract (8.0 SRM) Extract 60.00 %
2.00 lb Pilsner (2 Row) Bel (2.0 SRM) Grain 20.00 %
2.00 lb Corn Sugar (Dextrose) (0.0 SRM) Sugar 20.00 %

I would do something like this and forget the mash. The sugar with dry it out.

Hey all

I'm planning on just going the all grain route rather than the extract. That way I can maximize the fermentability of my wort. I will go for it once I have a few more all grain brews under my belt (I recently built an all grain setup). Thanks for your help

Back