Duotight fittings and solenoid valve for kid control

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bcrawfo2

Reaction score
I'm sure there will be a lot of opinions here. Hopefully some of you will find the topic interesting.

Am trying to get ahead of kid problems around my keezer. I'm toying with the idea of installing a solenoid valve on my beer lines and using some kind of authentication to open up the valve so I can serve beer. I know there are tap locks, but things like that are only as good as you remembering to put them back on. This opens up the can of worms around liquor, and everything else that kids might do wrong. I get it. Trying to tackle one thing at a time. Right now my kid is doing stupid ****....even though he's been guided to make the right decisions.

The technology is not the hard part.
I'm wondering if anyone has done something like this.
Here is a valve 1/4'' 12V DC Push Connect Plastic Solenoid Valve
Paired with something like this on the keg side Duotight Ball Lock Quick Disconnect (QD) Beverage Out - 8 mm | MoreBeer
and this on the shank side Duotight Push-In Fitting - 8 mm (5/16 in.) x Female Beer Thread | MoreBeer

fwiw, I recall discussions regarding "Kegbot" that mechanized ball valves were the least foam-provoking.
Indeed I recommend using Google search with "kegbot" as a keyword to access a lot of history regarding solenoid controlled valves and beer...

Cheers!

An inline cutoff valve inside (like for a small gas engine fuel feed line, but obviously food grade in this case) combined with a lock on the door / lid, might be a less cool but more elegant solution here also.

Look at RFID cabinet locks on Amazon, you might be able to incorporate some of that into your ideas.
They also have a keypad version as well as a fingerprint reader version.

Physical restraints might be better than a technical solution. Is it keezer or kegerator? Photo perhaps ?
No, the kid will eventually figure out how to defeat them and the next thing you know the police will be at your door.
Better to lock the whole thing away from kids.

The Mad TV skit comes to mind when Stuart is tied to the Jungle Gym with a harness and someone gives him chocolate that causes hm to drag the whole aparatus accross the playground.

Last edited:
The OP stated he has a keezer. I wonder if the lid could be padlocked with a keypad device or just a regular key or combo lock? You could then install a duotight inline valve and shut it off then lock the lid. I just added length to my EVA barrier lines using a valve and some spare line I had on hand. The 5 1/2 ft was still a little too much foam so I added more to make it 8 ft total.
https://www.morebeer.com/products/duotight-pushin-fitting-8-mm-516-ball-valve.html

Put a blinking red light somewhere on the keezer with a sign that says "smile, you're on camera".

If that's not enough of a deterrent, maybe an actual trail cam in the keezer? When the lid is opened, "click, click, click, click", an instantaneous upload to dad's phone, followed by a phone call from a pissed off (and sober) dad to his delinquent drinking kid. Busted ass at 11.......

Back