dunkle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dark_Ale

Reaction score
For the following recipe, can someone help me get the color darker, close to a dunkle, Thanks
#3 6 row
#3 2 row
#4 Wheat
#1/2 German light crystal

I'd add some carafa special (I, II, or III), debittered black malt, or if all else fails some chocolate malt to get it darker. The first two would be ideal since it won't make it too roasty

Youre talking dunkelweizen right? Why 6 row and 2 row? It would be easier to go with equal parts pilsner and wheat.

Just don't go over .25 lb on the chocolate.

How much carafa would you add to this recipe if it were equal parts pilsner and wheat malt...To get the color dark?

How much carafa would you add to this recipe if it were equal parts pilsner and wheat malt...To get the color dark?

It really depends on the color of the other malts. You can run it through some recipe software or online recipe formulator to figure it out. I've only used carafa special II and III, not sure the SRM/L of the I. Maybe 2-3oz of carafa special II or 1.5-2oz of carafa special III. It also depends on how dark you want it.

Your talking about a dunkelweizen and not a munich dunkel, right? I assume so since I see the wheat and no munich in there.

Replace some of your base malt with Munich dark.

If you are making a Dunkelweiss, I would have more wheat than barley, I think the usual ratio is about 65% wheat.

My keg of dunkelweiss is getting light, I need to start on a new recipe, myself.

I know this may seem like a strange grain bill but my weakest link is understanding the differant malts and what they do. So I come up with this recipe, looking at differant dunkle recipes what do you think.

#1 Flaked oats
#5.5 wheat
# 3.5 6 row
#3 Munich
6oz Special B
6oz Crystal 40
2oz Carafa Special II

I know this may seem like a strange grain bill but my weakest link is understanding the differant malts and what they do. So I come up with this recipe, looking at differant dunkle recipes what do you think.

#1 Flaked oats
#5.5 wheat
# 3.5 6 row
#3 Munich
6oz Special B
6oz Crystal 40
2oz Carafa Special II

You can't really pick and choose some grain from different recipes of a style and expect much. You really need to know what each one contributes. And there are many many books for that. To get you started:

Malts Chart - Home Brewing Wiki
All About Grains 101

Wow, IMO there are some way out of style ingredients in those lists. Munich Dunkel is obviously a German style lager. As such, German brewers, bound by the Reinheitsgebot, will only use barley in the grist.

A typical Dunkel grist bill is a large proportion of Munich. How much depends on the lovibond of the malt (dark vs. light) and the SRM you're trying to achieve. A smaller proportion of Pilsener malt can be included as well as a very small proportion of a dark (but debittered/smooth-flavored) specialty malt like Weyermann's Carafa II or III Special.

If you're looking to brew a general dark lager, then throw in there anything you like. If you're looking to brew a Munich Dunkel, then sticking with classic ingredients is your best bet.

Maybe he means "dunkleweizen"

My grains for a dunkle would probably look like this:

5 lbs pils
5 lbs light munich
1 lbs dark munich
1 oz cara II

Ya, I was just trying to brew something differant, its was one of those drunken bottling sessions with the neighbor and we were drinking Erdinger, and somehow the thought came up about putting oats in a dunkle recipe then brewing the same grain bill without the oats just to see what the differance was. From all the imput I have been getting either no one has tried it or it just is a waste of oats and time. I think we were looking more of the lines of brewing a dark beer(Dunkle) with the 3068 yeast that had a mouth feel similar to an awesome oatmeal stout without the roasty character.

Back