Dunkelweizen v taste

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BADS197

Reaction score
I've never HAD a dunkelweizen so I don't know what it's suppose to taste like.

Does it taste a little malty normally?

Its been bottled for a couple weeks and not really carb'd yet but tasted malty but good. Gf loves it.

Its a winner but curious how it was suppose to taste..

haha

thanks
jake

I love dunkleweizens, and to me, the best ones taste just like a chocolate-covered banana. :ban:

I had one last night and it didn't taste malty, just like a darker version of hefeweizen.

http://www.bjcp.org/2008styles/style15.html#1b
A moderately dark, spicy, fruity, malty, refreshing wheat-based ale. Reflecting the best yeast and wheat character of a hefeweizen blended with the malty richness of a Munich dunkel.
The presence of Munich and/or Vienna-type barley malts gives this style a deep, rich barley malt character not found in a hefeweizen. Bottles with yeast are traditionally swirled or gently rolled prior to serving
Wheat 50%-70%; remainder usually Munich &/or Vienna malt.Traditional decoction mash Weizen ale yeasts produce the typical spicy&fruity character, extreme fermentation temps can affect balance&produce off-flavors Small amount of noble hops used for bitterness.
Examples: Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier Dunkel, Ayinger Ur-Weisse, Franziskaner Dunkel Hefe-Weisse, Schneider Weisse (Original), Ettaler Weissbier Dunkel, Hacker-Pschorr Weisse Dark, Tucher Dunkles Hefe Weizen, Edelweiss Dunkel Weissbier, Erdinger Weissbier Dunkel

http://www.bjcp.org/2008styles/style15.html#1b
A moderately dark, spicy, fruity, malty, refreshing wheat-based ale. Reflecting the best yeast and wheat character of a hefeweizen blended with the malty richness of a Munich dunkel.
The presence of Munich and/or Vienna-type barley malts gives this style a deep, rich barley malt character not found in a hefeweizen. Bottles with yeast are traditionally swirled or gently rolled prior to serving
Wheat 50%-70%; remainder usually Munich &/or Vienna malt.Traditional decoction mash Weizen ale yeasts produce the typical spicy&fruity character, extreme fermentation temps can affect balance&produce off-flavors Small amount of noble hops used for bitterness.
Examples: Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier Dunkel, Ayinger Ur-Weisse, Franziskaner Dunkel Hefe-Weisse, Schneider Weisse (Original), Ettaler Weissbier Dunkel, Hacker-Pschorr Weisse Dark, Tucher Dunkles Hefe Weizen, Edelweiss Dunkel Weissbier, Erdinger Weissbier Dunkel

No Yooper...Dunkelweiss 30°, period! :D:ban::rockin::mug:

Yeah, I've been drinkin...tried dogfish head's 60 min IPA for the first time, sweeter than I like, don't understand what all the hype is about? Anyhow, thanks for the rundown on the Dunkels..:drunk:

And thanks for the advice on the dry hopping for my first APA, I hope it turns out as delicious as it sounds/smells!

Back