Dunkelweizen Hop Recommendation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

B33R

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm working on a Dunkelweizen recipe and I can't seem to figure out what kind of Hops to use. Some ideas would be appreciated. Thanks

For a 5 gal batch, I would just use an ounce of Hallertau at around 3.5 to 4.5% AAU for 60 mins and call it a day. Like hefeweizen, this is a style in which the taste is derived primarily from the yeast, so you don't want to overpower that with tons of hop bitterness. While Hallertau is my personal preference, I would bet you could use just about any low alpha hop and it would be just fine.

Out of curiosity, which yeast are you planning to use?

I have always liked German Tettnanger for weizens. I prefer going with a larger amount of a low AA hop as bittering in weizen because I think it helps head retention and mouthfeel. Using like 1/4 oz of magnum just never made as nice a beer for me.

For a 5g batch, :mug:I like to use 1 1/4 oz of Hallertauer (around 3.5%) at 45 mins. Puts me right around 14 IBUS.

Either Hallertau, or Hallertau and Magnum if you are feeling cheap.

I buy Hallertau by the pound. Most of my brews tend to be wheat beers.

I was debating on the yeast. Its between WYeast 3638 Bavarian Wheat and WYeast 3942 Belgian Wheat Yeast.

I've decided to go with an ounce of Hallertau.

I think you will pleased with the Hallertau hops. As for the yeast, if you are going for a traditional German style dunkelweizen then the Wyeast Bavarian Weat or the White Labs WLP 300 will both treat ya right. Plenty of banana esters and clovey goodness. I don't have any experience with that Belgian wheat yeast in a hefe or dunkelweizen, but it might make for a unique and interesting brew. Anyways, enjoy the Dunkelweizen, it is one of my favorite styles. Prosit.

I'm going to be making a Dunkelweizen tomarrow, and settled on 1 oz. of hallertau. Don't know about these "WYeast 3638 Bavarian Wheat and WYeast 3942 Belgian Wheat Yeast", I'm going to try White Labs WLP320 American Hefeweizen Ale Yeast. I'll see how it turns out when done.

I like white labs bavarian weizen yeast (it's a platinum strain) for my dunkelweizen. Its adds a great spice note with very little if any banana fermented at 66F. I use Hallertau for all my weizens.

Back