Dumping yeast from conical

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lalnx

Reaction score
If I make a roughly 1-2 pint yeast catcher for my conical, and lets say I remove it after about 3 days of fermentation to remove trub and early dropping yeast...... If I put it back on, and it burps a little air back up into the fermentor, is that actually really going to be a problem? (Oxidation). I see some posts where people totally freak out if their process isn't totally hermetic!:eek:
It seems like there would be very little contact with your beer as the bubble passes up to the top again and settles in above the co2. This coupled with the fact that there should still be active fermentation going on to consume what may make it into solution.:confused:
Why I ask, is I want to get rid of that first junk, then be able to harvest the next "middle" yeast from the catcher. (catcher will just be a chunk of clear 1.5 ID tubing plugged on the one end. I figure this will also alow for some stratification of different layers of gunk, that can be isolated by just kinking or clamping of that portion of the tube.

If I make a roughly 1-2 pint yeast catcher for my conical, and lets say I remove it after about 3 days of fermentation to remove trub and early dropping yeast...... If I put it back on, and it burps a little air back up into the fermentor, is that actually really going to be a problem? (Oxidation). I see some posts where people totally freak out if their process isn't totally hermetic!:eek:
It seems like there would be very little contact with your beer as the bubble passes up to the top again and settles in above the co2. This coupled with the fact that there should still be active fermentation going on to consume what may make it into solution.:confused:
Why I ask, is I want to get rid of that first junk, then be able to harvest the next "middle" yeast from the catcher. (catcher will just be a chunk of clear 1.5 ID tubing plugged on the one end. I figure this will also alow for some stratification of different layers of gunk, that can be isolated by just kinking or clamping of that portion of the tube.

Is this kinda what you are talking about? http://www.brewershardware.com/1.5-Tri-Clover-Sight-Glass.html
If it is then just flush with CO2 as you re attach it to the conical. No problem. Oh, yes, I do have conicals and not just blowing smoke. :)

yes, the stainless tri-clover is the non ghetto version, that would clash with the rest of my equipment.:p
also lets say that sometime if I was too lazy,:rolleyes: or forgot to purge it with co2, would it matter before the completion of fermentation? Somebody must be doing this also.......

THanks for the reply.

Back