Dumping bottles to Keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gotsumbeers

Reaction score
Anyone have to open uncarbonated beer in bottles and pour them in a keg? I have a batch that didn't carb but I want to salvage. It was too bad, as it was split batch and the legged half was great, but the bottled half earned me a 16 in competition!

Any tips for doing this? I plan on purging the keg with co2.

Thanks.

It's been done. Filling the keg with CO2 first is a good idea, pouring as quietly as possible another, and drinking it rather quickly is probably in your best interest...

Cheers!

I think your biggest concern would be oxidation due to the action caused by pouring it. You just need to be very careful when pouring them. You might be better off pouring them slowly by hand into a pitcher, then siphoning the pitcher into the keg.

i bottled a stout but never carbed it so when I decided to keg it, i siphoned it out of each bottle into the keg. i blasted the keg every 5 bottles with a bit of CO2. the only issue i had was that i wasn't able to get it all since i didn't want any of the sediment at the bottom of the bottles to get into the keg.

Thanks for the replies. As bad as I could handle it during the transfer, carbonated beer has got to be better than flat.

Even if you pretty heavily oxidize the beer by pouring bottles into the keg, it takes a good 2-3 weeks for the cardboard oxidation taste to show up. Force carb this beer quick and get to drinking before it starts to taste bad! :mug:

Back