Dump or keep Raspberry wine smelling of petrol

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crevie

Reaction score
Dump or keep . Had some really warm weather and this Raspberry wine fermented dry in primary in four days as I wasn't keeping tabs on it. Starting SG was quite low at 62. Smells of petrol. Racked it off the lees and tried getting a bit of air into it. Acidity is pH 3.43. Don't know whether to persevere or bail. Thanks

IMG_20220818_230827839_HDR.jpg

I'd say if it's fusel alcohol, which it sounds like it may be, that can't be fixed. Fusels happen when alcohol ferments too warm, and besides the gasoline taste, will give a hell of a hangover very quickly. I wouldn't dump it yet, though, if you have the fermentation room, because it may not be bad/fusels. If you need the room, I wouldn't waste my time, though. Either way, once it tastes like that, it's probably not going to clear up.

Thanks. Something to watch out for in future when the weather is hot. I won't waste any more time on it and dump it. I've got a Golden raisin wine in primary at the moment so I'll focus on that. Good info thanks.

I wouldn't dump it, put it out of sight and come back to it in a year or two, it might be fine.
I don't expect to drink any of my wine for a year.

Back