Dump Mash Recirc question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

edecambra

Reaction score
Hey folks,

So this will be a dumb question, but I just have no idea! I just got my first brew pump and am in the process of setting up a tool-box to house it. I want to recirc my rectangular cooler for the last 10 minutes of the mash or so before running into the kettle and I was curious how to set my valves, some guidance:
  • Do I stir up the mash right before starting recirc or let is sit?
  • Do I open the valve all the way on my mash tun and throttle it on my pump output?

I have a copper manifold and I just want to avoid a stuck sparge if possible on the first run ya know?

Cheers all

It sounds like you're pretty much doing a kind of vorlauf to clear up the first runnings, but doing it during the mash with recirculating correct? While I don't have the same setup, I am now brewing with pumps and a constant recirculation of the mash in a keggle and have brewed with a cooler setup in the past w/o the pumps. I would stir the mash a couple of times during the mash schedule to thoroughly mix everything and then leave it to set the grain bed probably 15 minutes before I started recirculation. You're probably going to have to experiment with your system a couple of times to see what works best for you in that regard. As far as the valve settings run full open coming out of the MLT and throttle down the valve on the output side of your pump setup. You do not want to restrict flow going into the pump, and if it a magnetic drive as so many of us use, it is fine with restricting the outflow. I'd also try some rice hulls the first time or two to help avoid the stuck sparge. Good luck!

Back