Divert pump outlet 3 ways?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robbit

Reaction score
I'm in the process of modifying a typical 3-vessel 2-pump eHERMs setup. I'd like to avoid swapping hoses to avoid dribbling spills, but am having a tough time conceptualizing how to accomplish this.

Pump 1 is just for recirculating HLT water. Pump 2 output needs to be directed to mash recirculation, whirlpool, and filter/chiller. One solution involves piggybacking two 3-way ball valves on the pump outlet, but it is a lot of weight on the pump head and results in too much torque when switching valve positions so much that the threads easily loosen.

Is there a better way to direct the outlet 3 directions with valve-type control, or is there a way to prevent loosening of the hardware? If all else fails, I could just swap one of the two valve outputs from recirc to chiller. Thanks.

The connection to the pump head is loosening? What material is your pump head made of? It sounds like perhaps you are not tightening the fittings enough. Are you by any chance trying to position the valve handle in a certain position and can't get the connection tight enough?

The connection to the pump head is loosening? What material is your pump head made of? It sounds like perhaps you are not tightening the fittings enough. Are you by any chance trying to position the valve handle in a certain position and can't get the connection tight enough?
It's a Blichmann Riptide with NPT fittings and a 3-way ball valve attached with pipe tape. When really tightened down and only one valve, it seems to hold ok. If I attach another 3-way valve directly onto the first valve attached to pump, then the weight of the two valves acts like a lever arm and will loosen the pump to first valve connection when twisting the second valve handle counter-clockwise.

So, the heart of the problem is trying to divert the pump outlet in 3 different directions without resorting to using two piggy-backed 3-way valves.

Or two tees instead of a cross with three on/off.

My setup is for silicone tubing with QDs. I just toss a clean rag on the brew table and keep it under the valve I transfer tubing but I understand you want to hard pipe it. I already have a valve on the in of the HERMS coil, so right on the HLT, and my whirlpool port also already has a valve on the BK. I have an out valve on my March pump. Just wondering is the Blichmann integral valve on the out? Did you have any existing valves after the pump not including the integral valve?

As others have mentioned the pipes will need support too. Nothing should move once you have it locked in.

Pictures would help. But I am thinking that if you have a ball valve oriented in such a way that it is in the plane of rotation for the fitting threads that you could turn the ball valve 90 degrees so that the force applied is now perpendicular.

Back