Duda diesel b3-23a plate chiller for 36 gallons?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hugenjapan

Reaction score
I have a 36 gallon BIAB kettle that I'm making right now and am at the stage where I need a wort chiller. I'm just wondering what people think of me using a duda diesel b3-23a plate chiller to chill my wort without a pump (just gravity)?

You have to say how many plates it is, for example, b3-23a 30 plate. If thats the one your thinking of, it's one of the best. At the coldest and hottest times of the year what temperature is your ground water?

Oh ya sorry 50 plates and I'm not too sure of the temps of the ground water.. I live in Victoria bc (on an island close to Vancouver) so it doesn't get overwhelmingly hot in the summer and it snows usually one or two days a year

That sounds like a nice place to live. The ground water temp is a big factor in the size of the plate chiller you use. Their are a lot of factors that affect plate chillers. I have super cold water from the great lakes, so my 40 short plate chiller works great. I wish I got the bigger 30 plate long chiller, because I like to badass toys. If your thinking about buying a 50 plate long, it's going to be over kill, but their is nothing wrong with that at all!!! By the way, I would love to see some pictures of the BIAB that is 36 gallons, please?

I have the B3-23a 30 plate, and it completely rocks in the winter time. No exaggeration, 5 minutes for 10 gallons to 65 degrees. Summer time it's a little less performing, because my ground water gets up to 70, and it usually cools 10 gallons to 72 in about 8-9 minutes.

I'm trying to talk myself out of buying their newest one to cut down on my summer time cooling. They now have a B3-36, which is about 6 inches longer, and all the more faster. Being that you are doing 20 gallon+ batches, I would definitely look into that one instead. Remember, more plates means more wort cooled at once, but longer plates means more efficient, or able to get to the coolant temp easier. It's all about the trade off between the two.

I have the 40 plate for 20 gal batches and it rocks. 50 would be great for even bigger batches.

Latest posts

Back