Dubbel hops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChillWill

Reaction score
Hi! I'm putting a dubbel recipe together and trying to figure out how to get good use out of my hops.

I currently only brew small batches and am a bit space confined so buying a couple of 100g bags is a bit of a waste. What I need is some hops that I can also use to make something like a saison with as well.

I've got some Goldings (not Styrian) already, then chinook, citra, amarillo and simcoe (which I can't see myself using in a dubble).

I'll be using WLP550 yeast which I'm recylcing from a previous Saison brewed 6 weeks ago or so (assuming the starter takes hold).

My current thought is something like either using the goldings I've already got or buying some Hallertau? Or maybe Savinjski Goldings (Styrian Goldings)

You could probably use those citrusy hops for the bittering additions. A 60+ minute boil would in theory kill off the flavor and aroma and all but the amarillo hops are so high in AA that you'd barely have to add any anyways to hit your desired IBUs.

Just be sure that the goldings are what you use for all the flavor and aroma additions, although to be true to style you're only shooting for like 20 IBUs and should keep hop flavor and aroma to a bare minimum.

So would normal goldings (EK) be alright for Aroma? It'll only be a small addition anyway. I've read somewhere a recipe that used simcoe in a dubbel? Maybe I could use that as a bittering hop and about 0.3oz of goldings at 0min.

I was aiming for 22IBU or there abouts. Hmm, Chinook or Simcoe might work well for bittering, I'd rather not have any citrusy hops in there, even if most of the flavour goes.

Or should I just go for goldings bittering and aroma?

Well, the beauty of high AA hops is that for bittering additions, you don't need very much. Hitting ~20IBU would only need about half an ounce of simcoe and then you'd toss in the goldings at flameout.

If you use kent goldings for everything, you'll wind up needing more hops but you completely remove the possibility of a citrus note.

If you've got ~1.5oz of kent goldings, I'd go with the goldings all the way. 1oz at 60 minute and then add your .3oz aroma addition.

ok, thanks for the pointers cory. I'll see how many goldings I've got. I could probably pick some up from the brewery next week if I need a top up. Need to pick up a few spices for it and get a yeast starter on the go before I brew anyway which gives me a bit of time to finalise hops.

Back