Dual Purpose Grain Mill?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jwheelz

Reaction score
Sorry for 2 similar posts, but I just saw Mophunk's post and didnt want to hi-jack.

I'm looking to invest in a mill, however SWMBO bakes alot and wants one that can make flour as well as meet all my milling needs for brewing.

The one they sell at my LHBS has small teeth like things on the rollers and I'm sure wont grind fine enough for flour. I've seen many folks on here recomend the BC, I'd love to buy one of those but I'm not sure if that would grind fine enough for flour as well.

Anyone have any insite on this? Will the BC fill both roles? If not, is there a mill on the market that will? Thanks :mug:

It's been awhile since I researched this so don't hold me to it. But I think it actually would cost more to get one quality dual purpose mill than a BC and a cheaper mill to make flour.

You might be able to find a flour mill that will let you set the gap wide enough to crush grains for brewing, but probably not the other way around. I would also note that if you are planning to mill flour for baking you really need to take care if you're milling in an enclosed area, especially a kitchen. It produces a very fine dust that is both easy to inhale and highly flammable.

Hey you might also check out this Porkert Universal Mill. It says it can do fine grind for flour as well as soybean splits...so sounds like it is potentially dual-use. It is hand-operated but you could hook up a motor I'm sure.

Back