Dryhopping primary bucket???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lcbjr77

Reaction score
I will be dry hopping my primary today when I get home from work. It's a 6.5 gallon bucket. I am going to dry hop 2 oz of Citra pellets with a hop bag.

I was going to sanitize the bag and fishing line or floss (this seems like the way to go)

My question is should I run the string/ floss through the gasket hole so it centered more in the bucket and hold it using the airlock or just toss it in and use the lid to hold it in place for the 7 days?

I also heard of people using a sanitized shot glass, marbles as a weight, is this necessary?

Thanks Larry

Personally when using pellets I wouldn't bother with the hop bag. Just throw them in. When you siphon into your bottling bucket or keg, just put the hop bag over the siphon and it'll filter out the pellet particles. You really only need to weigh the bag down when using whole cone hops since they will float to the top and they will lose about half of their efficiency.

I have dry hopped with both a bag and without a bag. Use the bag. the hops will expand and make tiny chunks of leaf material that will annoy you to no end and is unpleasant to look at when you pour your bottle for a friend to try... I wouldn't weigh it down, hops tend to float any way. Think of it as a tea bag. If you have to weigh it down, go for it, but at the bottom, you might disturb the yeast cake and trub...

I just dry hopped a DIPA in the primary, 4oz nugget and cascade in a bag. I just tossed it in and a week later bottled the most delicious beer I've brewed yet. Huge aroma. Huge flavor. Everyone who's tried it loves it. My wife even likes it and she doesn't like IPAs.
Bag em and toss em in

I just dry hopped a DIPA in the primary, 4oz nugget and cascade in a bag. I just tossed it in and a week later bottled the most delicious beer I've brewed yet. Huge aroma. Huge flavor. Everyone who's tried it loves it. My wife even likes it and she doesn't like IPAs.
Bag em and toss em in

So just toss it in, no need to suspend it with string/ floss?

Latest posts

Back