Dryhop experiments

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stijn26

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm brewing a low alc. IPA with around 100 ibu and 4,5 abv.
The hops that I use now are Chinook for bittering, flavor, aroma & dryhop.
Mandarina Bavaria only for flavor & aroma.

I'm now on the quest the find the perfect dryhop for this beer.

For now I have come up with the following experiments:
Amounts are for 10L.

sipwell 1: lemondrop 75 g
sipwell 2: mandarina bavaria 75 g
sipwell 3: mosaic 75 g
sipwell 4: mosaic - mandarina bavaria | 50 g - 25 g
sipwell 5: citra - mosaic | 25 g - 50 g
sipwell 6: citra - mandarina bavaria | 25 g - 50 g

Do you guys have tips, remarks, other things to say?

100 IBUs for a 4.5% ABV would be too much. The beer will feel overly bitter, but maybe not. Maybe you have tougher taste buds.

I would use Citra - Mosaic or Mosaic on its own. But I bet all of those combinations would work fine.

PS: Mandarina Bavaria, although a very fine hop, it is very subdued in aromas and flavour when compared with US hops. That means if you will use it, you will probably need to add much more.

agree with the sentiment that it'll be harder to appreciate the differences in the dry hop effect in a 100 ibu beer, and 100 is unnecessary in a 4.5% beer ingeneral. I'd recommend doing some reading on BU:GU ratio by Ray Daniels.

a good old way to test dry hops is to pickup a 6 pack of bud light and put a couple pellets of a different hop in each beer. recap as best you can and taste them in a day or two.

Thanks for the tips, I'm from Belgium however and I don't have Bud light available haha :D

For the Mandarina Bavaria, during the boil I add 133 gr in the middle and 300 in the last 5 minutes (in a 60L batch). They are very noticeable. But for the dryhop I need to use more than 75 gr? Until now I dryhopped with chinook, also 75 gr. This gave a good result.

For the IBU's, I brewed the batch 3 times now and it seems quite balanced to me, however I should note that I'm still experimenting with the brewing process and the addition of the hops (hop bags, etc.). Its possible that they didn't fully release their effect. The last batch was without hop bags so we will see what taste that will give.

How much grams of Mandarina Bavaria do you advise to use in the dryhop, in a 10L batch?

Ive used Mandarina Bavaria a few times now. Alone and paired wth either citra, cascade or saaz. Stil have to taste the saaz pairing. Bottling in few days. Anyways as been said, mandarin doesnt have much oil as american hops esp hops like citra. Next time, if wth citra, I would go more 1 to 3. I do however use same ratio on late hop additions as dry hoping.

Loving mosaic and citra, about same ratio as yours, in IPL I recenty made.

Next brew will probably be a belgian wit wth mandarina and mthood or liberty.

Back