Dry Yeast ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrifterFred

Reaction score
I find this forum to be VERY informative so, thanks for all the help....lots of posts about all different kinds of yeast...what is the concensus on Dry Yeast?

Dry yeast, when used properly (read: according to manufacturers instructions) is just as good as their liquid counterparts (i.e. US-05 is just as good as Wyeast 1056, S-04 is just as good as Wyeast 1099)

The only differences are that liquid yeast has faaar far more variety and dry yeasts don't need starters.

In my humble opinion, the largest difference is ease of use... I don't even re-hydrate dry yeast, I just sprinkle it into the wort. If you are making a BIG beer, just add 2 (or even 3) packets. No starter, no mess, no worries. I believe dry yeast also has a longer shelf life than liquid. If you are looking for an exotic yeast, then you may have to go liquid, but for almost any "standard" American or British style beer, US-05 works great.

I strongly prefer dry, mainly because I don't have to do a starter to have yeast coming out of the starting block firing on all cylinders. High gravity brew? No problem, just open another pack. I haven't used liquid in months.

DrifterFred said:
I find this forum to be VERY informative so, thanks for all the help....lots of posts about all different kinds of yeast...what is the concensus on Dry Yeast?

I was wondering the same thing. As a new brewer, I have only used dry yeast and it seems like a different kind for each of my 7 brews (wb-06, s04, s05, Nottingham, Muntons, etc.). I rehydrate mine in a cup of warm water and I've never had a problem fermenting. The liquid yeast options seem like a hassle. I may need to use one if I make something more ambitious though.

Check out www.mrmalty.com
Really good info on yeast there.

It really does depend. Using Saf-05 instead of WLP001 or WY1056 makes sense since they're are essentially the same thing. Like mentioned before, 04 is also a good option. But when you want specific belgian and german strains there really is no dry equivalent. Base your decision off the beer you're making.

Not to jack your thread, but anyone have thoughts on a good dry yeast for a belgian wit? I was thinking of using safbrew s-33.

My most popular brew to date was made with US-05. I have shared it with 11 friends and coworkers and so far 3 have asked if I could brew 5 gallons just for them.

It really does depend. Using Saf-05 instead of WLP001 or WY1056 makes sense since they're are essentially the same thing. Like mentioned before, 04 is also a good option. But when you want specific belgian and german strains there really is no dry equivalent. Base your decision off the beer you're making.

Are you sure about that?

Belgian beers: use S-33 or T-58

German: use 34/70

Actually ever lager I've made was with 34/70... it's awesome. It makes a really tasty Oktoberfest but still works for an American Pils

Are you sure about that?

Belgian beers: use S-33 or T-58

German: use 34/70

Actually ever lager I've made was with 34/70... it's awesome. It makes a really tasty Oktoberfest but still works for an American Pils

I didn't mean to come across as if there weren't any choices, there just aren't many. For ales alone you have wlp029, wlp036, Wlp300, wlp351, wlp380 for german and wlp400, wlp410, wlp500, wlp510, wlp515, wlp530, wlp540, wlp545, wlp550, wlp565, wlp566, wlp568, wlp570 for belgian at White Labs. If you're looking for an authentic yeast from a commercial brewery, you have so many more liquid choices.

I have found that having access to S33, T58, WB06, Danstar Munich, Brewferm Blanche and probably more than I haven't run across is enough for me for fruity beers. Not saying that liquid yeast isn't better, it's just not better enough for me personally to expend the effort in using it. Not trying to get into a debate though, I am not anti-liquid, just giving my reasoning behind the matter.

Cheers!

I use dry yeast 90% of the time and mostly use US-05 as I brew styles for which that yeast is compatible. Good aeration is very helpful for a fast start.
Only once in my life did I have a stuck fermentation and it was likely due to poor yeast because I kept it too long and not stored properly. I now use fresh yeast which I keep in the fridge, sealed well. I'm not really anal about it, just don't want to waste 5 gallons and 3 plus hours of my time.

I have found that having access to S33, T58, WB06, Danstar Munich, Brewferm Blanche and probably more than I haven't run across is enough for me for fruity beers. Not saying that liquid yeast isn't better, it's just not better enough for me personally to expend the effort in using it. Not trying to get into a debate though, I am not anti-liquid, just giving my reasoning behind the matter.

Cheers!

Understood. This is an area where practicality verses authenticity can butt heads. It really is personal preference which is why I originally said it depends. I guess really to answer the original question, there is no degradation in quality when it comes to dry yeast. Use whatever best fits your setup. I can tell you, I use them both depending on what I'm brewing and how much time I have.

Latest posts

Back