Dry Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zixxer10R

Reaction score
So Wednesday was my first experience with dry yeast. Before that i was using liquid yeast exlusively but i never really questioned why i was using it.

I finally got to witness fermentation kick off with the dry yeast and now i'm left wondering why people use liquid yeast at all. It's twice the price as dry, and you have to worry about temperatures in shipping much more during the summer.

Why don't more people rave about dry yeast, and it's ease of use?

So Wednesday was my first experience with dry yeast. Before that i was using liquid yeast exlusively but i never really questioned why i was using it.

I finally got to witness fermentation kick off with the dry yeast and now i'm left wondering why people use liquid yeast at all. It's twice the price as dry, and you have to worry about temperatures in shipping much more during the summer.

I think the main reason is that there is far less varieties of dry yeast available. That is the biggest reason for using liquid yeast.

A lot of people do indeed rave about dry yeast, for the reasons you mentioned. Ease of use, cell count, storage, etc. Look at the catalogs on white labs and wyeast though, and the variety speaks for itself.

I used dry yeast for mostly all my brews that were neutral in yeast flavor. that is before i started my yeast bank so i now i use what i have frozen. but i still keep a few packs of dry yeast in the fridge just in case!!

A lot of people do indeed rave about dry yeast, for the reasons you mentioned. Ease of use, cell count, storage, etc. Look at the catalogs on white labs and wyeast though, and the variety speaks for itself.

+1

I use dry yeast on occassion, but it seems to me that liquid yeast can be much more style specific because of all the different strains available. Dry yeast is style specific as well, but tends to be more versatile. For this reason, I feel liquid yeast gives the brewer the ability to pinpoint a wider variety of characteristics than dry yeast.

I stopped using dry yeast when I stopped doing kit beers, now I ranch my yeast so there is not much point in using dry now.

Total side note, I'm looking at moving back to Australia and saw the price of Yeast there... that was enough to make me want to use dry yeast. AU$18.00 (approx USD$19) for a vial of whitelabs..... arrrh!

Well, you seem to be the pro brewer working at a brewing co. Why don't you enlighten us???

I use both.

US-05 is great for IPA/ APA's or anything you need a clean neutral yeast. Works great, easyto use and always ferments out nicely. I love dry for anything I acn use it for.

I do a lot of Belgians, Saisons, Wheats, etc and use the appropriate liquid yeast. You get flavors that are very specific to those styles.

OK, today was my first use of dry yeast and I'm amazed at how fast the fermentation starts. Much more convenient than a starter two days in advance. That said, I do like the economy of yeast ranching and the variety of liquid yeasts. Still, dry yeast will forever have a place in my brewing. What a great hobby. Chemistry, microbiology, cooking that all leads to beer:)

Back