Dry yeast storage

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I left one in for 2 months (Nottingham) and it was viable. It was an accident though, it got put in with some hops. I generally store the sealed bags in my fridge.

As a general rule, I keep my dry yeasts in the fridge, not the freezer. It has a 1 to 2 year shelf life anyway, I don't really see a need to freeze it.

It's been in there awhile. Do you know if it shortens the shelf life? I'd like to use this stuff but don't want to risk an entire 5 gallon batch.

Regards,
Alan

I see options:

Make a starter. Or simply proof the yeast in a bowl with sugar and 100 degree water. (Let it come to room temp first either way)

-or-

Just pitch it like normal.

No bubbles in a day you are heading to the LHBS or ordering online.. Maybe you want to do that now and cover your bases.

I do not see the yeast hurting your beer. The starter is the option lending to higher quality, as it will build back up the number of live cells IF they have been killed down. You pitch a starter, no problems. You pitch directly to the beer, you could be drastically underpitching. This lends itself to effecting the flavor of the beer and would take longer to start the ferment. If your sanitation is good, no problem there, eventually the live yeast will do what they love to do.

I would look at those yeasties and say "do you feel lucky, punks" and pitch em! (in the wort)

Alan, it will be good. I keep all my dry yeast in the freezer and have for a few years now. I have S-189 in there that was expired last Feb and I still use it, abet a lot more than normally called for.
My S-04 and US-05 are ther until I'm ready to use it.

PS DON"T make a starter for dry yeast. If you need more cells, just pitch more yeast. Making a starter for dry yeast just depleats the built in nutrients in the yeast harming the yeast.

Better than making starters is to plan your brew sessions. Make a lighter ale, like a blonde or something and use THAT yeast cake for a larger beer, porter, IPA, APA, IIPA etc... This is what I do. I re-use about half my yeast because I alternate smaller and lighter beers with larger and hoppier beers so that I can re-use my yeast cakes and get a good healthy start on my larger ones.

PS DON"T make a starter for dry yeast. If you need more cells, just pitch more yeast. Making a starter for dry yeast just depleats the built in nutrients in the yeast harming the yeast.

It is good to hear that.... that is gospel in baking with modern bread yeast... proofing yeast is very outdated.

Better than making starters is to plan your brew sessions. Make a lighter ale, like a blonde or something and use THAT yeast cake for a larger beer, porter, IPA, APA, IIPA etc... This is what I do. I re-use about half my yeast because I alternate smaller and lighter beers with larger and hoppier beers so that I can re-use my yeast cakes and get a good healthy start on my larger ones.

I actually already do this. I've used exclusively liquid yeast and washed and reused the yeast many times. I was just going to try the dry because I've heard so many good reports on here and it cuts out some of the work.

Thanks again for the reply. Also thanks Boo Boo, it sounds like my dry yeast will be fine. I'll check the expiration.

Regards,
Alan

Latest posts

Back