Dry Yeast Rehydration

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LaundryBrew

Reaction score
Question about yeast rehydration. Let’s say a pack needs to be rehydrated in 200 ml of water. So if I am rehydrating two packs then I can double the water to 400 ml, rightt?

Yes.
But depending on the surface area, it may take twice as long, as the floating layer of granules will be thicker.

Now Fermentis doesn't even recommend re-hydration before pitching anymore. They now tell us to just sprinkle dry on top of the beer surface.
Not sure why, product or research updates, or removing barriers for beginning brewers, who knows?

I brewed an amber about two weeks ago. For the first time, rather than rehydrating, I just sprinkled the dry yeast directly onto the wort, per Fermentis' suggestion. I didn't notice any significant lag time, and I had a nice, vigorous fermentation. I had a nice, thick krausen that fell after about 4 days.

Per Ferementis' website, I didn't aerate, either. *gasp*

Based on what I saw with this fermentation, I think I'm done rehydrating and aerating.

I brewed a 3 G batch of blonde ale Tuesday and pitched a pack of danstar Nottingham without rehydrating, it's done great. I had air lock activity within 6 hours and it was going nuts within 12. In fact it's almost done fermenting today.

I've never re-hydrated dry yeast and have always had great results. Like Lizard I do give it a good stirring before pitching my yeast without splashing the beer.

Dry yeast doesn't have to be complicated.

And changes in the quality of ingredients seems to be one of the things that home brew forum "wisdom" (or "concensus") seems to struggle with.

Now Fermentis doesn't even recommend re-hydration before pitching anymore. They now tell us to just sprinkle dry on top of the beer surface.
Not sure why, product or research updates, or removing barriers for beginning brewers, who knows?

A couple of years ago, when Fermentis was launching their E2U program, I talked with a couple of head brewers (at small breweries) who where using dry yeast because they didn't have the resources to manage their own "yeast lab". Great beer, less effort, lower cost.

Follow the links (below) to the PDF from Lallemand where they suggest"MORE VIABLE CELLS FOR LESS COST".

Yes, use a pitch rate calculator optimized for dry yeast! Other pitch rate calculators designed for liquid yeast can result in significant overpitching.

But I get much faster lift-off with good oxygenation, using healthy liquid yeast pitches from recent starters. Usually within 12 hours, often earlier.
Oh, I don't doubt that for a second, as far as liquid yeast is concerned. I'm just trying to simplify my brewing process as much as possible. For me, that means dry yeast wherever possible, no rehydration, and no aeration. I'm leaving my beer in primary for three weeks anyway, so a 6-12 (or even 24) hour lag doesn't bother me.

There will come a time when I want to brew a beer that will need a liquid yeast (e.g., hefeweizen), and I'll have to make a starter, aerate, etc. I expect that to be the exception in my brewing, not the norm.

Pasting my post from a previous thread:

The latest Fermentis recommendations for dry pitching are here: https://fermentis.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/10/Brochure_Tips_and_Tricks_BAT_BD.pdf

They call for filling the fermenter with wort until the cone is filled - sprinkle the dry yeast - then finish filling the fermenter. (I'm guessing you can just estimate how much would be equivalent to filling the cone if you're using a carboy or bucket.) Wort should be between 10C and 28C.

And they recommend against just sprinkling the yeast on the wort if it is foamy since some of the yeast won't be in the liquid. (This reco was in an email from Fermentis - not on the website.)

Demystifying Active Dry Yeast | American Homebrewers Association ('sponsored' content by Fermentis, dated May 1, 2020). Rather than put it in a small quote box, I'm pasting it in directly. I'll bold what I think are the key points.

"Easy-to-use (E2U) is a Fermentis brand used to characterize specific wine and beer yeasts & fermentation solutions which can easily be used in the beverage manufacturing process, without going through complex preparation protocols that complicate the operation. E2U is an innovative concept to make your life easier, to save you time, and offer more comfort and safety. In fact, the extension of this brand to our beer range was recently communicated after a study conducted by Fermentis and independent laboratories in 2017. In the study, several trials were made to measure viability, various fermentation parameters (fermentation kinetics, final ethanol production, apparent degree of fermentation, etc.) and volatile compounds production in beers made; using different media (tap water, distilled water, 7°P, 15°P, 25°P wort), different temperatures (8°C/46°F, 12°C/54°F, 16°C/61°F, 20°C/68°F, 32°C/90°F, 40°C/104°F) and different kinds of agitation (without, moderate and violent) to rehydrate yeast, in comparison with direct pitching (moderate agitation at 30°C/86°F). No significant differences were found in this study for our full range of yeasts. The study concluded that the performance of our brewing yeasts is not affected when they are rehydrated in different types of media (wort of different strengths, distilled water,tap water, etc.), at different speeds of agitation, and in a wide range of temperatures. Furthermore, it is not affected when they are inoculated directly into the wort, without previous rehydration. The range is E2UTM! You can now pitch directly, with no need to rehydrate; but if you still want to rehydrate, you can relax and use different conditions that adjust more to your process, without negative effects. But please… keep in mind that we are still talking about living microorganisms and there are some limits. Use the recommended temperature range for pitching (check the back of the sachet) and if you have always rehydrated Fermentis ADY, again, you can still do it, but do it preferably with hopped wort that will protect the yeast against microbial contamination. Last but not least, there is no need to oxygenate the wort when using E2UTM yeast by Fermentis (due to our production process) and DO NOT shake the flask extremely vigorously when you are rehydrating the yeasts. Our ADY are ready to go when you pitch them!"

There will come a time when I want to brew a beer that will need a liquid yeast (e.g., hefeweizen), and I'll have to make a starter, aerate, etc. I expect that to be the exception in my brewing, not the norm.

FYI, I just made a hefeweizen that came out great with dry yeast: Lallemand Munich Classic! No starter. No hydration. No aeration. Used 1/2 a pack in a 2 gallon batch. Clove in the aroma. Noticeable (but not overwhelming) banana. Nice notes of lemon. Awesome head (after only 2 weeks in bottles). Came out so good, I'm going to modify my recipe and make a Dunkelweizen.

Latest posts

Back