Dry Yeast, IPA, Which one!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

optimatored

Reaction score
I have mainly been using liquid yeast and notty a handfull times but not sure what to use here...

I am brewing two 5-gallon IPA's, same recipes except one will be hopped with simcoe and the other with cascade. I remember seeing some threads about bad batches of Notty and with all the $$ on hops for this beer I really do not want to take a chance.

Which would you go with for a IPA? Would one kill/bring out hop flavor more than another?
Notty, Windsor, US-05, S-04

Thanks in advance.

SA-04 and SA-05 are both excellent choices for an IPA.. I started out using SA-04, but now use SA-05 more often..

I was brewing some ~50 IBU pale ales with different hops in each and asked a guy at Rebel Brewer the same question. The guy I spoke with recommend US05 fermented at a low temp to showcase the hops.

I was brewing some ~50 IBU pale ales with different hops in each and asked a guy at Rebel Brewer the same question. The guy I spoke with recommend US05 fermented at a low temp to showcase the hops.

looks like two votes for US-05 ...

my goal here is to really see the difference in the two hops. Simcoe are new to me and just amazing. Cascade is another favorite of mine, but I am not 100-percent on them yet. Thanks!

notty, windsor, and s-04 all tend to lend english profiles (slightly fruity) so while they'll all work fine, S-05 should be the cleanest strain of the 4.

Just as IffyG said....use s-05, ferment in the low 60's and you'll have a nice clean profile to show off the hops.

That's exactly what I do.. SA-05.. Pitch at 62-63 and ferment as close that as I can (at least during primary)..

notty, windsor, and s-04 all tend to lend english profiles (slightly fruity) so while they'll all work fine, S-05 should be the cleanest strain of the 4.

Just as IffyG said....use s-05, ferment in the low 60's and you'll have a nice clean profile to show off the hops.

nice. i think i will go with US05 for both!

That's what I was shooting for with this set of 1 gallon batches, however I didn't quite adjust my temp controller quite low enough and I'm fermenting at about 66*. Should be interesting to see how it turns out.

I like to do a mix of Notty and 05 (together) in my imperial IPAs. I like characteristics of both when fermentation temperature is kept cool. My .02.

I can't tell you how it will turn out yet because I just brewed my IPA two days ago. But I can say I used Notty yeast and it was fermenting 5 hours after pitching, and fermenting like crazy a few hours after that. I did use 2 packets for a 5.5 gallon batch, but the Notty seems to be just fine. Don't have a lot number on that on hand.

Back