Dry Yeast for Stout?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Monk

Reaction score
Hi guys. I was wondering if anyone has a suggestion for a dry yeast I could use on a stout. I know the "Irish Ale" is the liquid yeast always suggested, but I seldom brew stouts or Irish ales and would only be using it once on a 2.5 gallon batch...that seems like a waste of money. So unless it's totally necessary, I'd like to use a dry yeast.

Thanks in advance.

monk

If you want high attenuation & a dry stout, Nottingham or Munton Gold. Windsor, Cooper or Munton otherwise.

Thanks, D42. That's good to hear; I have some extra Nottingham in the frig.

Been meaning to ask...how is the blackberry cider you made (it's in your signature)? Is that all crushed blackberries, or part apple, too? I was visiting my sister in NorCal last summer and desperately wanted to ferment some of the blackberry juice we were making from the berries we picked around her house.

monk

I use only Safale-04 on my imperial stout and it is one of my better beers. It tastes great and has scored 40 in a couple of comps.

Myste--I was thinking about 56 myself. Neutral, clean taste, high atten., leaves a lot of room for the roasty malts to shine.

Rookie--At what temperature do you ferment your imperial stout? Every time I've used 04, it left a lot of esters. I usually fermented around 65F, too. I'm interested to hear how it contributes to the stout.

monk

Another plug for Windsor if you want some deep fruitiness esters and a relatively high final gravity.

Back