Dry yeast for belgian blonde

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coyotebrew

Reaction score
Hey im thinking about a belgian blond about 6.5 abv was wondering what dry yeast is best suited for this type of ale? Thanks in advance!!!

I've never used it, but Safbrew T-58 might be a good fit. I'm personally a fan of WLP500 for all my Belgians.

I'd consider bell saison, unless you really don't want any of that saison character. I've found that while T-58 is acceptable, it takes longer to not taste green than other belgian strains. You CAN use it, this is just my observations (and I do use it still).

Alternately, the new Fermentis Abbaye dry yeast is a good mild, fast maturing, belgian strain. I've only used it for darks though, so I don't have a basis for how it will taste in a blond.

With a no-wheat grain bill and T-58 fermented at 22C, I found my Belgian Blonde to taste like la chouffe after 6 months. If you are aiming for the spicy character of that beer then give that a go. I used T-58 after that for a Witbier (at 17C) but wasn't keen on it for that style, as it just didn't work well young (as andrewmaixner said).

Another dry option is Brewferm Blanche (clove and banana in 20-25C range;said to go well with wheat), but unless they use that in some of their kits I haven't used it to say.

Back